Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Waking up in the morning, I felt surprisingly good.  I didn’t feel sick and I was happy about that.  I was finally getting out of that stage.

And I was graduating today, which was also a good thing.

After getting a shower, I got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast.  My hair was still wet, but I needed it to air dry for a little while. 

“Has Remy been down yet?” I asked.

“No, that girl takes forever to get ready,” Grandma Lena said, sipping her cup of coffee.  “That’s one thing that’s hasn’t changed about her.”

“That’s one thing that’s never going to change about her,” I said, laughing.

“You’re not going with your hair like that I hope,” she said, eyeing my wet hair.

“No way,” I said.  “I’m going upstairs to go upstairs and fix it.  I need to eat something first, though, because I’m starving.  Remy’s probably going to ask me to help with hers, so I’d better hurry up or I won’t even have time to fix it.”

“You need to eat good things,” she said.  “You’re eating for two now.”

“I know,” I said.  “I haven’t been eating anything that’s not good for me to eat.”

“Good,” she said approvingly.  “When do you find out what it is?”

“At the end of next month,” I said.  “I’m the only one who thinks it’s a girl.  Well, Troy thinks it is, too, so at least I have one person who agrees with me.”

“Now, this Troy boy.  Is he good for our Remy?” she asked.

I laughed.  “Oh, yeah.  Those two are like two halves of a whole.  They’re totally the same.”

“And when do I get to meet this boy?”

“Probably at the wedding,” I said, feeling the butterflies in my stomach that I felt every time I said the word “wedding.”

“You look a little nervous,” she said, smiling.

“Weren’t you when you married Grandpa?” I asked. 

“Of course, I was,” she said.  “I couldn’t be any happier, though, and I can tell you’re the same.  You and Will, now that’s what love looks like.  It’s like you two were made for one another.” 

“You have no idea how true that is,” I murmured.

She took my hand in hers and smiled at me.  “I don’t know why everyone thinks it’s a crime to marry at eighteen now,” she said.  “I got married at eighteen and spent fifty-four years with your grandfather.  My mother married at eighteen, too.”

“I knew that,” I said. 

“Now how did you know that?” she asked.

“Well…me and Remy…we had a project for school,” I said.

She looked at me closely.  “My mother was a wonderful woman.  She said some crazy stuff sometimes.  And when I was really little, I remember she used to wake up screaming sometimes.  I’d go in there and lay next to her, fall asleep in her arms.  But before I did, she used to murmur things about what would happen.”

“What do you mean, what would happen?” I asked.

“Things that would happen later, in the future.  She’d have dreams all the time,” she said, still looking at me.