Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I didn’t do anything after Remy left.  I just wanted to lie there and wait for her to come back, but I knew I couldn’t just sit around doing nothing.

“Shadow!  I know you’re there somewhere, so just come on out!” I yelled into the empty space around me.

Just as I thought, the shadow appeared in front of my bed.

“You called for me,” it said.

“Yes, I did.  I need to do something because I don’t want to be stuck here and bored for the rest of the day until Remy comes back,” I said.

“Do you want me to teach you something?” it asked.

“Like what?”

“I can teach you how to look into the past, but see it from a different view.  It’s like rewinding time and looking at it from different angles, so you can understand what had happened.  But we should begin with something small, okay?  Are you ready?” it asked.

I stood up, eager to learn how to do it.  I had a couple of things I wanted to look at and I wanted to hurry up and see them.

“Ready,” I said.

Once I said it, my room turned into the school parking lot the day before spring break.

At first I didn’t realize why we were there, but then I saw my car speeding out of the parking lot.  I looked toward the doors leading into the school, and there was Will, looking in the direction of my car.

We were suddenly beside him and I was able to see him in full view.

“What’s happening?” I asked the shadow, still looking up at Will.  “How are you doing this?”

“Well, you’re really the one doing it.  I’m just guiding you.  Even though when this really did happen, you were not in this actual place at this time, you can still look back and see what happened.”

“Is that what you meant about seeing things from a different angle?” I asked.

“Yes,” the shadow said, approvingly.  “Sometimes, if your power is really strong, you can hear people’s thoughts, but only in your dreams and only when you are looking at the past, not what lies ahead.  You are not able to listen to their thoughts yet, but I believe that you will be able to soon, since you are learning at such a fast rate.”

As I stood there, listening to the shadow, I was also watching Will.  He didn’t move, not even his blue eyes.  A minute later, he sighed and turned to go back into the school.  I didn’t know why he was going back inside, but then I realized why when we started to head in the direction of his locker.

But standing right beside it was Rebecca.  She didn’t really look very happy either, even though she had no reason to be looking that way.

Will didn’t even acknowledge her as he opened his locker and got out two of his books and a binder.  He shut his locker, locked it, and then turned back toward her.

“What?” Will asked.

“Don’t ask me ‘what?’.  You know what I want to know,” she said in an unfriendly tone.

“I don’t care what you think about anything,” he said.  He tried to step around her, but she blocked his path.

“I want to know what happened today before last period.  What was that?” she asked.

“I don’t have to tell you.  You’re not my girlfriend anymore.  I don’t have to explain anything to you,” he said.

He tried to step around her again, but she blocked him once more.