Chapter 4

Chapter 4

My eyelids were heavy as I tried to open them.  My mind, which was clouded with a thick layer of fog, tried to process what had happened, but it just couldn’t make sense of any of it.  Opening my eyes again and looking up, I saw sunlight streaming the treetops above me, but then there was a jagged piece of metal there, too, and the overhead compartment that had been there was hanging sideways just a foot in front of my face. 

Again, it took my mind a few moments to realize that I was still strapped into my seat on the jet and that I was looking through a hole in the ceiling.  I sat there for a moment, looking up at the sun, and then heard a whimpering sound from beside me.  I turned my head slowly, my neck stiff, and saw Remy still in the seat beside me. 

“Reagan?” she whimpered. 

Her voice saying my name brought me back fully and my eyes widened.  I tried to move to help her, but I was still buckled into my seat.  I undid it to get myself out and leaned toward her, pain shooting through my arm.  But I gritted my teeth and ignored it, wanting to make sure my sister was alright before I made sure of myself. 

“Remy, are you okay?” I asked. 

She still had her eyes closed, but tears were leaking out of her eyes.  “It came true,” she whispered.  “The dream came true.”

“I know,” I whispered back. 

She moved to unbuckle and, when she tried to turn toward me, she gasped and grasped her side.  Gently, she lifted her shirt, showing a bruise spanning the length of her ribcage.  She felt it tenderly, wincing. 

“I think I broke a few ribs,” she said. 

When she looked at me, I saw a long scratch above her eyebrow that wasn’t deep and had already stopped bleeding.  She was looking me over the same as I did with her.  And when her eyes went to my upper arm, they widened. 

“Oh, Reagan, you’re shirt’s covered in blood!” she said.

I looked down and, sure enough, she was right.  My shirt was stained with blood on my sleeve and side. 

“Oh, my God, Reagan!  Look how much you’ve been bleeding!” she exclaimed.  “What happened?”

I looked again and lifted up my sleeve.  All along my arm there were cuts, some deeper than others, and they sparkled as the sun hit them.  I realized that glass was embedded in most of them, but not deep thankfully. 

“It’s okay for right now.  What about…”  And then I realized who my question was aiming to.  “Will!”

“Oh, no!” she gasped, and then winced. 

We both got up and started toward the front.  Where the cockpit was, there was only twisted metal and wires sticking out everywhere.  My heart dropped when I realized that the pilots would have never been able to survive that.

Will was still in his seat, his arms and legs sprawled out, with only feet from where the twisted metal and wires began.  If he’d been in the seat just a few feet in front of him…

No, I couldn’t think like that.  He was there, seemingly unhurt besides a few cuts and bruises.  He actually looked like he was sleeping. 

When I leaned down to try and wake him, my glass filled arm brushed up against the seat.  I held back a scream, but a whimper slipped through my lips and tears welled up in my eyes. 

“Will,” I said, my voice sounding choked. 

He moved slightly, opening his eyes, and stared up at me.  “Am I in heaven?” he asked, a smile forming on his lips.  “Because you sure do look like an angel.”