Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“So when, exactly, were they going to leave?” I asked.  “And for how long?”

Brittany had stayed for dinner over at my house and we were now in my bedroom, planning for our break-in of Leo and Nic’s apartment.  I could practically feel the excitement rolling off of her.

“Nic told me they were going to leave around seven,” she said.  “He didn’t exactly tell me where they were going or how long they would be gone.”

“Then how will we know when they get back?” I asked.

“When they come through the front door,” she said, smiling.

I rolled my eyes.  “Do we want to go through the front door or the back door off the balcony?” I asked.

“I’m thinking back door.  Plus it’d be easier to get out that way, too,” she said.

“When do we go?” I asked.

“Just as soon as they leave,” she said, and lay back against my pillows on my bed.  “This is going to be so much fun, snooping around in all of their stuff!  There are a few places…”

“What are we going to tell my parents?” I asked.

“Let’s just tell them that we’re going up there for a bit.  I’m sure we won’t be up there for more than a couple of hours,” she said. 

“A couple of hours?” I asked.  “Do you really think it’s going to take us that long to look around and see if we can find anything?”

“Probably, if we want to find anything that will be of any use,” she said.  She noticed the worried look on my face and sat up.  “Don’t worry.  We’ll find something that’ll give us some answers.”

“I don’t know if I want answers though,” I said.  “I don’t know if I want to know the truth.”

“You don’t want to know the truth of where you come from?” she asked.

“Well, of course I do,” I said.  “But I’m just scared.”

“I’ll be there, too,” she said, grabbing my hand.  “It’s not like you’re going to go through this by yourself.”

“We don’t need to have them know that we were there,” I said.  “Do you think that they’ve gone yet?”

She looked over at my clock on my desk.  “Probably,” she said.  “It’s seven-fifteen.”

“Do we want to go now?” I asked.

A slow smile spread across her face.  “Let’s do it,” she said, and stood up, walking toward my door.

I stood up and followed her, but she’d already beat me to my parents.

“Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, is it alright if Sabina and I go up to Nic and Leo’s for a bit?  We’ll be back in an hour or two,” she said politely.

“I guess that’s fine with me,” Mom said, looking at me as I stood next to Brittany. 

“Tell Leo and Nic we say hello,” Dad said, heading for the television.  “Those two haven’t been here in a couple of days.”

“Sure thing,” Brittany said.

“We’re going up the fire escape,” I said, heading for the balcony. 

“Why aren’t you using the elevator?” Mom asked.

“We need to work off all of the food we ate,” Brittany said, laughing, as we walked toward the door.  “Your cooking is just too good.”