Subsequence

Prologue

Trying not to make a sound, she creeped into the office and shut the door silently behind her.  Only one person was home and she knew that they probably didn’t know she was there, but she was still trying to stay as quiet as she could.

She walked toward where the computer was, sat down in the chair in front of it, and turned it on.  Waiting nervously for it to boot up, she glanced back at the door every few seconds.  She couldn’t hear anyone coming, so she turned her attention back to the screen.

Knowing the password to log in, she typed it in and watched as the computer came to life.  She searched through the programs on the screen, reading every name to herself.  And then she found the one she was looking for, the program that she had seen in her dream.

Her heart started beating faster as she clicked on it.  But before the program could open, there was another password and she didn’t know it.  She groaned and tried everything that came to mind – names, birthdays, anniversaries – but none of them worked.  And then she thought of another, one that she wasn’t quite sure of but would try anyway.

Her fingers trembled as she typed it in and pressed enter.  When the password was accepted and the screen popped up, she smiled. 

The program seemed simple at first, not harmful like she’d anticipated.  But when she clicked on the heading Line of Succession and it came onto the screen, her eyes went wide.  It was explaining a new line of succession for the presidency if something were to happen.  She didn’t know what would cause a new succession plan, but she was going to find out. 

She went back to the main screen of the program and clicked the next heading down, Military.  It explained a new form of the United States Military.  How everything would be handled by the new military if a crisis were to occur and how they would be trained. 

She clicked back to the main screen and scrolled through the remaining headings, but only one that really caught her eye.  Robotics.  Something didn’t feel right as she clicked on the heading.  And as the screen loaded, her fears increased as she watched it.

They were blueprints of a new weapon.  This weapon was a robot, but not just any robot.  A human robot with robotic limbs that increased strength and grew exactly like bones but never broke.  Their senses would be heightened and they would have greater mind capabilities, like weapon control, with interface.  They would be able to run at great speeds and jump greater distances.  They would still look and act like a human being, heart beat and everything.  She scrolled through the blueprints, revealing even more details about the new robotics.

As she read through everything, there was a flutter in her stomach and her hand automatically went to it.  It had been happening for the past few weeks, but this time was different.  It felt like it was a warning of some kind.  But how could it?  Then it happened again, only a little more urgent.  She shook her head, knowing that she was probably making it all up, and looked back at the screen.

A couple minutes later, she was immersed in reading everything she could, trying to get knowledge of the program and what its capabilities were.  There was another part of the program she hadn’t looked at yet.  When she clicked on it, the first thing she saw was the name of the new government organization that would take over if something were to happen.  The Directrix.

And right as she clicked to print everything, the door opened…

***Whoo!  This is the beginning of the last book with Reagan and the gang!  Looks like it's going to be awesome, huh?!?  :D

And don't you just love the name of my organiztion?  The Directrix!  Sounds mysterious, huh?  You want to know how I came up with that name?  Sitting in my algebra II class my sophomore year of high school!  Thank you, parabolas!  Haha!

Comment, Vote, and Like!!!1***