Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I was so surprised I couldn’t even move and my eyes were wide.  My heart was racing and my eyes started to close…but that’s when I realized what was happening and pulled away from Will.  I looked at him with wide eyes, speechless.  The people around us were silent also and I could see they were looking at us the same way I was looking at Will.

“Reagan…” he started.

I was already walking quickly down the hall to…our English class.  Luckily, he sat on the other side of the classroom thanks to our assigned seat in alphabetical order.  The row that I sat in was closest to the door, so I’d be able to bolt out into the parking lot after school was let out.  I wanted to get as far away from Will as I possibly could. 

But why did I want to get away from him?  Wasn’t that what I’ve wanted to happen between us for so long now?  And now that it had, why was I running away from him?

I guess it was just the shock of it.  I mean, I never, ever expected him to do that.  But maybe it was my fault that it happened.  Maybe he was leaning down to kiss my cheek and I just happened to turn my head at that exact same moment.  I didn’t know and the only way I would was if I asked him.  But, if I wanted to know, that would mean that I was going to have to speak to him, which would be just too embarrassing. 

By the time the bell rang and everyone started into the classroom, I could already tell everyone already knew what had happened in the hallway not even five minutes before.  Remy would probably hear about it in class and it would be twisted around so it would be totally different before I could even tell her what really happened. 

Will was the last one to come in.  Everyone looked back and forth between the two of us as he and I looked at each other.  Before my face could get totally red, I looked up at Mrs. Roper, who was standing at the front of the class. 

“Either all cell phone companies canceled their texting services or something big has happened that I haven’t heard about yet,” she said, looking at all of us. 

Everyone either continued to stare at me and Will or was looking at her.  After a minute of everyone looking at each other, Mrs. Roper sighed and turned on the projector. 

“We’re going to be watching Beowulf,” she said.

“Yes!” someone said excitedly.

“Yes, I know you can’t wait to see Angelina Jolie covered in gold paint and nothing else,” she said, rolling her eyes.  Everyone laughed as she turned out the lights and started the movie. 

Throughout the class, I tried to keep my eyes on the movie, but somehow I kept focusing on something else…well, more like someone else. 

I’d always imagined whenever Will kissed me, I’d feel something.  I should have, right?  I guess since I was so surprised that it happened that I really didn’t feel anything.  I guess if I didn’t pull back from him and walk off like I did, something might have happened. 

I moved in my chair and something fell onto the floor.  I looked down and sighed, picking up Will’s note that had somehow made its way out of my pocket.  I held it in my hands on my desk, looking down at it in the dim light.  My eyes moved toward Will, who was sitting there with his arms crossed over his chest, watching the movie.  I think he could feel me looking at him, though, because he turned his head slightly and his eyes locked with mine.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Mrs. Roper get up to turn the lights back on and the movie off.  Knowing that the bell was probably going to ring any moment, I picked up my bag and set it on my desk, ready to run right when we were dismissed.