Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I woke to sunlight streaming into my bedroom window.  I could hear Remy in the closet, so I knew she was up.  I stood, stretched and made my way into the hall.  Just as I walked past the room where Rebecca was sleeping, the door opened. 

Rebecca looked better, refreshed from a goodnight’s sleep.  But she still looked a little sad.  I think it was going to take a lot more than just talking to have her feeling better about the whole Tyler thing.

“Good morning,” I said.  “Are you feeling better?”

“A little,” she said.  “How did last night go?”

“Nothing special,” I said as we walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.  “They told us pretty much the same stuff.  But they did tell us why Will was heading someplace.  He was returning something, but then decided to turn back around.”

“What was it?” she asked.

“I don’t know.  Remy does, but she won’t tell me anything,” I said.

“Do you have the…other thing…figured out?” Rebecca asked.

“I think I do,” I said, suddenly worried. 

“That’s good then,” she said.

Mom walked in the kitchen then, so we had to be quiet about everything. 

“Good morning, girls,” she said.  “Did you sleep well?”

“Yep,” I said. 

“Rebecca, I hope you’re feeling better also.”

“I’m a little better,” she said.

“Good then,” Mom said.  “What do you want for breakfast?”

“I’m not that hungry,” Rebecca said.

“I think we’ll just have cereal.  No need to go and make a big breakfast,” I said.

We were just pouring the cereal into bowls with Remy and Dad walked in.  We all sat at the table, talking and eating.  When we were finished, we rinsed out our bowls, put them in the dish washer and then headed back upstairs.

“So…” Rebecca started when we were back up in Remy’s room.

“So what?” I asked.

“Was…was Tyler there?” she asked.

“Nope,” Remy said.  “Carlee said that he hadn’t even gotten home yet, that he had to go and talk to someone.  She didn’t know who though.”

“Oh,” Rebecca said, looking down.

“Don’t worry about it,” I said.  “Everything will be straightened out on Monday.”

She looked up suddenly.  “Oh, no.  Monday.  We have to go to school on Monday and I’ll see him there,” she said, putting her head into her hands.  “This is going to be so embarrassing.”

“If anyone who should be embarrassed, it’s Tyler,” I said.

“That’s right,” Remy said.  “He should get to see what he missed out on.”

“What do you mean?” Rebecca asked, looking back up at us.

“I’m dressing you up again Monday and we’re going to make him feel even guiltier for standing you up,” Remy said. 

“How is that going to make him feel guilty?” she asked.

“You’ll see,” Remy said, smiling.