Chapter 1

***This hasn't been edited in about 2 years so forgive any mistakes!***

March

Chapter 1

“You have that all wrong, you know,” I said to Will.

I was sitting beside him on his bed, our books and papers spread out all around us.  I had my Calculus book and he had his trig book.  We’d been doing homework for about an hour.

“What do I have wrong?” he asked.  He handed his paper to me.  “Tell me, oh wise one.”

I rolled me eyes and pointed at the problem he’d written down and the work below it.  “Your Pythagorean identities aren’t right,” I said.  “The tangent needs to be a cotangent.  Otherwise, you have it all wrong and it’s really going to mess you up.”

He flipped to the page in the book with all of the identities and, sure enough, I was right.  He sighed loudly and started erasing.

I laughed.  “Sorry,” I said.  “It was just really bugging me, looking over there and seeing you doing it all wrong.”

He laughed at me.  “Do you know how much of a nerd you sound like right now?”

“Yes, I do actually,” I said. 

“Good, because it’s amazing me right now,” he said, smiling.  “I’ve never heard you talk like that.  I mean, it was annoying you?”  He laughed again.

“I don’t know.  It annoys me when someone does a problem all wrong when they’re working on it right in front of me and I can’t fix it.”  I paused, thinking about what I’d just said.  “Oh, my God.  I do sound like a nerd.  What has calculus turned me into?”

“Someone who actually gets my homework when I don’t,” he said, kissing me on the cheek.  “It comes in handy.”

Like this comes in handy? I thought to him.

Exactly, he thought back.

It had been seven months since the car accident and we’d finally perfected communicating through our thoughts.  With Cora’s help, even though I had to relay the information back to Will, we’d figured out how to direct our thoughts to each other.  The down side of it was that we had to be fairly close to hear each other, but when we were far apart we could still feel each other’s emotions.  And after seven months of practice, we’d finally gotten the hang of it.

Of course, Remy didn’t like it very much.  She’s always saying that she feels left out of the conversations when Will and I talked to each other the way we usually did now.  Will’s argument was that she finally got to feel what it was like, not really knowing what everyone was talking about.  Tyler, Rebecca, and Carlee were pretty used to it now, though.  They just ignored us when Will and I had our conversations through our thoughts.

Will had gotten out of the hospital four weeks after the crash.  I went down there every day until he got to come home.  He had to have one more surgery to set the bone in his leg in place and had to keep his cast on for almost three months.  And when he finally got it off, he said it felt great to actually get to walk again without his crutches.  He did have a few scars now.  There was one above his eye, but you could only see it if you were really close.

The one that you could see the most was the one where he’d gotten shot.  Every time I see it, it makes me think of the crash.  Will always sees where my thoughts are going when I see his scar, so he tries to get my mind off of it as soon as he can.  He didn’t want to see the crash happen again in my head just like I didn’t.  It was still there, though, every sound and image burned into my brain.