Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I was completely silent until lunch, totally spaced out.  Everyone tried to get me to talk or do something other than sit there and stare straight ahead, but I couldn’t.  My mind was still in the dream, going through every scene over and over again.  Even if I didn’t want to watch it play out, it was still there.

“Reagan, honey, you’ve got to get out of this slump,” Taya said.

She was sitting beside me and Will on my other side, his arm wrapped around my shoulders as I curled into his side.  Tyler and Carlee were on his other side and Kara and Remy were across from me.

Remy kept looking at me with worried eyes.  She knew something was up and it was only a matter of time before she’d pull me aside to make me tell her what was wrong.

Everyone went on with their conversations around me while I still stared straight ahead.  Most of the conversation was concentrated around Tyler and Carlee.  How they liked school, where they’ve lived, and a multitude of other questions.  They didn’t have my attention until Tyler asked a question that everyone was willing to answer.

“Who’s that?”  He was looking toward the door as someone walked through it.

Everyone looked and then came a rush of answers. Everyone, including me, watched as Rebecca went to a table by one of the huge windows and sat down by herself.  She took one look at our table and laid her head down.

“That’s Rebecca,” Will said.

“Yeah,” Kara said, “Will’s ex-girlfriend from hell.”

“She’s not that nice,” Taya said.  “Though I do feel a little sorry for her.”

“She’s crazy,” Remy said.  “Literally.”

 “She’s not crazy.  She just probably needs a friend right now, since she doesn’t seem to have any.”

Everyone looked at me.  I didn’t realize I had said anything until it was out.

“What?” I asked.

“Oh, no.  I think Reagan’s going crazy, too,” Kara said.

“She hates you.  And the last time I checked, you didn’t like her that much either,” Remy said.

“Well, not anymore,” I said.  And just to show them, I got up out of my chair and started walking toward Rebecca.  When I looked back at the table, they were all staring at me.  Someone else was missing, though.  And when I looked beside me, Carlee was there.

“I thought I’d go ahead meet her,” she said, smiling.

I smiled back.  “Good.  Don’t worry about what they were saying.  She’s not like that anymore.  At least, I don’t think she is.”

We walked to where Rebecca was sitting and sat down across from her. Rebecca looked up when she felt the table move.

“What do you want?” she asked, looking at us.  She rested her forehead in her hand, looking back down.

“I thought I’d just come over and say hi,” I said in the happiest voice I could manage.

“Hi,” she said, and put her head back down again.

“And I wanted to introduce you to someone.  This is Carlee.  She just moved here from Seattle,” I said in my happy voice again.

Rebecca finally sat up, this time all the way.  I don’t know why she did, since she’d had her head down for the entire time we’d been over there.  Maybe she just figured we wouldn’t leave until she was fully communicating with us instead of having her head down.  I tried to hide the smile that was forming.