Chapter 24

Chapter 24

“You’re not still upset that I went and saw Matt, are you?” I asked Cora.  “I mean, it’s been a month since I went.”

“Yes, I’m still upset about it, but there’s nothing I can do about it now,” she said.

“Because without me going to see him, I would have never found out about Dad’s part in everything,” I said.

“That’s true,” she said.

“It’s still hard to believe that Dad is the one who came up with all of this,” Remy said.  “And the Directrix is already established.  It’s creepy to think about.”

“He really didn’t come up with it,” Rebecca said.  “He just organized everything for them.”

“And he designed that robot thing.  You can’t forget that,” Tyler said.

“Do you really think they’re going to actually make it?” Carlee asked.

“Dad said they didn’t have the technology for it yet.  It was all still in development,” I said.  “Who knows when they’ll finally make it?  I just hope that it will take a long time.”

“It probably will,” Charles said.  “Technology like that is hard to create.  And after they do, they’ll have to test it.  And probably retest it.”

“And the only thing they can test it on is people,” Remy said, shuddering. 

“That’s another thing I hope will take a long time to do,” I said.

“Are your mom and dad still getting used to everything?” Cora asked, changing the subject.

“Yeah,” I said, and laughed.  “It’s actually kind of funny.”

“When we talk about you, I think it still kind of freaks them out,” Remy said.  “And when Reagan and Will have conversations in their heads, I think it’s starting to annoy them just as much as it annoys us when they do it.”

“I don’t see how it annoys you guys at all,” I said.

“Oh, please,” Rebecca said, rolling her eyes.  “We can be talking and ask one of your opinions about it, and you don’t even know what we were talking about because you were listening to each other.”

“Still,” I said.  “It shouldn’t be annoying.”

“Maybe not to you,” she said, laughing.

“Have you had different dreams about Rayney, or have you had the same ones that you’ve seen before?” Cora asked.

“I’ve only had the ones that I’d had before,” I said.  “I think that’s all my dreams want to show me right now.  I don’t know if things will be added onto them over time, or if this is all I’m going to get.”

“I think that things will be added on as time goes on,” she said.  “That’s how it was for me when I saw everything about the crash.  Everything got more detailed.”

“That’s probably how it’s going to be with me,” I said. 

“I think I’m going to go now,” Remy said, standing up.  “It’s been a long night.”  She stretched her arms out and closed her eyes, and then disappeared. 

“We are, too,” Tyler said.  He, Rebecca and Carlee stood.  “Mom’s probably going to be waking us up any minute anyway.  She always does it when it’s our birthday.”

“We’ll see you later,” I said, and they disappeared.  I looked back at Cora.  “I’ve got to ask you about something.”

“Is everything alright?” she asked, looking worried.