Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I turned immediately.  I would know that voice anywhere, and not just because it sounded just like mine.  Remy was standing in front of me, a huge smile on her face.

“Hey,” I said, and gave her a hug.

She hugged me back tightly.  “How are you?  Hopefully you haven’t been getting into too much trouble here.”

I pulled back.  “Well, not that much.  I’ve actually been practicing something.”

“Really?  What have you been doing?” she asked, interested.

“Later,” a voice said from behind us.  “There are more important issues to handle right now.”

“Like what?” Remy asked the shadow.

“One of the last steps to being found,” the shadow said.

“Really?” I asked.  “How about me getting out of here, too?”

The shadow ignored my question, like it deliberately didn’t want to answer.  Like it knew but still didn’t want to say anything.  My intuition flickered.  There was something it wasn’t telling me.

The shadow still didn’t say anything, but suddenly we were back where we were supposed to be now in the woods then.

Sure enough, there we were, sleeping on the ground.  I wasn’t sleeping, but whatever.  It still looked like I was.

“You only have two directions to choose from this time, which is east or west,” the shadow said.

“Why are you giving us two choices this time, but you made us wander around last time?  Are you getting tired of us?  Is that it?”  Remy asked.

The shadow’s voice became softer.  “No, that isn’t why.  Besides, I’m going to be with you for the rest of your lives.  But if you are not found soon…”  The shadow trailed off, and then seemed to turn to me.  “I guess you remember what will happen.”

“Yeah, I do,” I said.  “And that is definitely not going to happen.”

“We’ll see if you’ll be able to,” the shadow mumbled to itself.

“What do you mean, we’ll see?” I demanded, but the shadow was already gone.  I sighed loudly.

“It’s okay.  Just don’t listen to it,” Remy suggested.

“And how am I supposed to do that?  You heard what it said.  It’s going to be with us for the rest of our lives.  I’m going to have to listen to it sometime.”

Remy wasn’t listening to me anymore.  She was staring to her right and listening very carefully.

“Did you hear that?” she asked softly, and then was quiet, listening again.

I looked in the direction she was and I couldn’t see anything.  But when I listened hard enough, I could hear faint voices of a few people.

“Let’s go,” I said, and then started to run.

After a couple hundred feet, I could see figures in the distance.  They were coming in our direction, walking slowly to make sure they didn’t miss anything.

“Thank God,” Remy said.  “They’re finally going to find us.”

I sighed as we watched all of the people run toward where we were.  “It’s all over,” I said. 

“Yeah, it is,” she said, laughing.

I smiled at her.  “I guess it’s time to wake up now, right?”