Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“So, I have a question,” Remy asked.  We waited, but she didn’t say anything else.

“Go on,” I said.

“When did you guys tell your parents?  I never thought about tell our mom and dad,” she said.

“A year ago maybe,” Carlee said.  “It started with Tyler, and then I started having the same dreams he had.”

“Cora said to us when we first started having the dreams that it’s triggered by some big thing that’s going to happen.  Was that the same for you?”

“Well, kind of,” Tyler said.  “It wasn’t happening to us though.  There was the huge murder case in Seattle.  There was a family in our neighborhood that was killed and one of the kids was missing.  There weren’t any leads for weeks and there was no sign of her.  Then one night I had this dream about being in a cabin in the woods.  I was locked up in this closet.  And when I looked beside me, there was this little girl sitting there.  She looked so scared.  I didn’t think anything about it.”  He paused.  “Until I saw the girl’s picture on the news the next day.”

“That’s when I started dreaming about it,” Carlee said.  “He told me about the dream that morning and I didn’t know what to say.  That night I was dreaming the same thing, except I wasn’t in the closet.  I was outside, looking at the cabin.  It was this old, rundown thing in the middle of the woods.  I was able to see the inside, too.  There was this man there.  He didn’t look any older than thirty.  He was just sitting at a table.  I would see him glance at a closet door.  When I looked over at it, it had three locks on it.”

“That must have been horrible.  What happened to the girl?” Remy asked.

“Well,” Tyler said.  “After we realized that were having the same dreams and that it was the girl that had been kidnapped, we told our parents.  At first they didn’t know what to say.”

“We still had the dream for a couple more nights, but then things started to change.  Instead of dreaming about the cabin, we dreamt about random things like road signs and license plates.  We told our parents and they went to the police.  They brought us in to see how we got the information, but we didn’t tell them exactly how, just that we saw something the day before the murders.”

“They did find the cabin, didn’t they?” I asked.

“Yep.  They tracked the license plate number and the address was on the same road that we saw.  They went in that day and found the girl and the man that kidnapped her and murdered her family.  Let’s just say that he won’t be getting out of jail any time in the near future,” Carlee said.

“So you guys didn’t have any really big choices you had to make?  You just had to tell someone where the little girl was and nothing serious happened to you?” I asked.

“That’s pretty much it,” Tyler said.  “The girl was found and she was put into her family’s custody.”

“No, what I mean was that you didn’t have to make a life or death choice for yourself?”

“None of it affected us,” Carlee said.

“Well, that’s not very fair, not that I’m not glad that you were able to find the girl.  But why were we the ones who had to go through all of that and almost die?”

“Reagan, that’s not the point,” Remy said.  “Just think.  If we hadn’t had been in that crash, do you think you and Will would have been together now?”  I looked over at her.  “Okay, maybe you guys would have, but the way you guys did get together was something that no one else can say happened to them.  You get to say, ‘Hey, I was in a plane crash and almost died, but I also got a great guy out of the deal.’”