Chapter 19

July

Chapter 19

“Don’t worry, Reagan,” Jocelyn, Troy’s mom, said.  “I’m not painting anything that you wouldn’t want.  Actually, Remy came up with the idea of what to do.”

“You see, when I first saw the room a couple of weeks ago, all I saw was blue,” I said.  “And when I was asking why the room was blue, Troy started painting black on the part of the  wall that wasn’t yet painted.  I was kind of nervous to know what you guys had in mind, and I still am.”

She laughed.  “Don’t worry about it,” she said.  “You’re going to love it whenever I get done with it.  It might take me a few more weeks, maybe even more than that.  There’s a lot to be finished in there.”

“Remy’s ideas can be over the top some times,” I said.  “Sorry.”

“It’s no trouble at all,” she said, hugging me.  “She just wants you to be happy with everything.”

“I will,” I said, hugging her back.  “She says that if I even peek, she’s going to get me.”

She laughed again.  “I’m sure she would,” she said.  “I don’t know when I’ll be back next.  We’re going on vacation for a week and a half, so I guess I’ll see you when we get back.”  She started toward the front door and I followed. 

“Have fun,” I said.  “Is Troy going with you?”

“Yeah, but only for a few days,” she said.  She laughed.  “He can’t stay away from Remy for more than a day it seems like.”

I laughed.  “Yeah, every time I go over to the house now he seems to be over there.”

“So that’s why I can never reach him,” she said, shaking her head.  “Well, say hello to Will for me.”

“I will.  He should be home here in a little while from work,” I said, opening the front door.

“That’s good that your father’s letting him work with him.  It gives him experience,” she said, stepping outside.

“Yeah, he actually really likes it,” I said. 

“Well, I’ll see you,” she said.  “You take care of that little girl.”

“I will,” I said, laughing.  I turned and closed the door.  I looked down at my protruding stomach.  Twenty one and a half weeks now.  She was still kicking and moving around.  I could feel her move even more with each day.

Right then she was moving.  I put my hands on my stomach and rubbed it.  “So you want to go sneak a peek like I do?” I asked, and she moved a little again.  “I thought so.  Let’s go.”

I started up the stairs and down the hallway.  But right when I was about to crack open the door to the nursery, the phone rang.  I sigh, taking my hand off the door knob, and walked into the bedroom to answer.

“Hello?”

“I know what you were about to do,” Remy said from the other end of the line.

“And what was I about to do?” I asked innocently.

“You were about to sneak into the baby’s room,” she said accusingly. 

“No I wasn’t,” I said.  “Why do you think I was about to do that?”

“Because I just saw Jocelyn’s car going down the road,” she said.  “I know you.  You were going to peek.”

“I didn’t want to.  The baby wanted me, too.  She wanted to see it, not me,” I said.