Prologue

Prologue

I was having a crappy day. Not out of the ordinary for one of us, but still.

Let’s back up a little shall we? My name is Perseus Jackson. Hi, you can call me Percy. I’m 18 and not normal. See, my mom met this guy who turned out to be a god. They played a little scrabble and ended up with me. My childhood was pretty normal, minus the disastrous field trips and exploding harpies. Turns out I was a demigod, half mortal and half god. And it turns out that monsters like half-bloods. Yes, then like to eat us, or stomp us into the ground, or tie us up and torture us, or… anyways the point is they come after us if we’re in a thousand foot sniffing range. And unfortunately for me, my dad happens to be Poseidon, god of the sea, earthquakes, storms, and horses. This small fact happens to be why so many monsters come after me. See, being the son of one of the Big Three, my scent is pretty powerful. And trust me, I’ve tried bathing more, this demigod stink does NOT come off. Anyways, let’s get back to the present.

                                                                                      ~~~~

So, about a day ago I was happy. The happiest I could be being a demigod and having attacks on my school every other day. I had the best girlfriend ever, great friends, and I even proved everyone wrong! I finished up the school year without being expelled or in too much trouble. The only person who believed in me was my mom.

A note on my mother. She is literally the best person in the world. When she was little, her parents being killed in a plane crash and her being left with her dying uncle. Back a few years ago when I was 12, she was married to this really bad guy named Gabe Ugliano. He was this gambling drunk fool that my married to ensure my protection. She ended up turning Gabe to stone and selling him for a nice profit. Afterwards, my mom got into the writing business which she had wanted to do forever. She met this nice guy named Paul and they’ve started to go out.

So, I was finally done with school and heading to my favorite place in the world, Camp Half-Blood. I couldn’t wait to see Annabeth, and Grover, and all my other friends. I arrived at the camp border and looked around, sighing in pleasure. I lugged my suitcase down the hill and came to a rest panting at the bottom. Man I’ve gotten out of shape. My best friend, Grover, trotted up to me. See, Grover is a satyr, half goat and half human.

“Pe-e-e-e-e-rcy! You’re back early.” He engulfed me in a hug. “But, I… never expected… oh dear.” He pulled away and pulled at the hem of his Save the Wild tee shirt.

I looked at him funny. “What’s wrong Grover?”

“Oh, well… nothing really. Just don’t me too mad when you find out.” He gave me a hopeful look. “Please?”

“Sure, but why?”

“You’ll find out soon enough, I suppose.” He gave a bleating laugh. “Well, I guess I’ll see you later. Juniper will get mad if I don’t visit. I just got back from Yosemite. Beautiful up there.” His eyes got misty as he thought about nature. “Well, bye Perce!” He gave me one last hug and trotted of.

Weird. I thought. Grover is usually not this nervous. I shrugged and shook the thought from my head. I could worry about Grover later, now I had to find Annabeth.

I ran to my cabin, my suitcase feeling my lighter. I threw it onto my bunk and exited cabin three, closing the door behind me. I strolled around camp looking for Annabeth. I couldn’t find her anywhere but I heard voices coming from the Diving Pavilion.

“Oh, Jerome. You’re so hot!”

I frowned. That was Annabeth’s voice, but it didn’t make sense, I was dating Annabeth. Why would she do this? I peeked around the corner and saw a movement of blond hair. Curls, Annabeth. I clenched my hands tightly as I saw her face next to this kid with black hair with red streaks. He was an average height, around 5’6” and dressed in long jeans and a camp shirt tie-dyed black and red. I looked at Annabeth’s smiling face. Why? I thought. I noticed her stormy grey eyes semi- glazed over. Strange.

“You’re so much better than Percy, Jerome. I don’t even know why I’m still dating him?”

The kid called Jerome, slung an arm around my girlfriend and smirked. “Got that right babe.”

I don’t know what happened, but a wave roared in my ears and something in my gut pulled. A wave of water came over from the creek and doused Annabeth and Jerome. I stomped away, but not without hearing an angry male voice shout, “I’LL KILL WHOEVER DID THIS!”

I snickered to myself. Deserves it stupid male! Man I sound like Artemis.

I ran back to my cabin and opened my suitcase. I took out a backpack leftover from last year from the trunk at the bottom of my bunk. Into it, I stuffed a couple pairs of clothes, some rations from the camp store (those never go bad), a baggie full of ambrosia and a canteen full of nectar. I took the shield my brother Tyson made me from the wall and pressed a button. The shield shrank down until I was holding a watch. I slapped the watch on and closed the backpack. I slid the suitcase under my bed in case I came back later. I slung the pack over my shoulder and exited my cabin. I jogged up the hill to Thalia’s pine tree. I stopped and gazed down the hill. Peleus, the dragon guarding the tree, bumped his copper scaled head against my side. I reached out and scratched his head. His great big yellow eyes blinked and he looked sad. Peleus let out a big puff of smoke and laid his head down.

“I know big guy. Maybe I’ll see you in the future.”

He snorted and maybe I was hallucinating, but I could’ve sworn I saw a small dragony smile appear on Peleus’ face. I gave him one last pat on the head, turned and disappeared from the camp borders.