1

"Please stop!" I begged the guards.

"Please, you're hurting him!" I cried as I watched three men beat up my older brother. Their faces were covered in his blood and their knuckles were ripped open. I grabbed a hold of my stomach as I saw one of the large men on top of him smile proud with his yellow teeth.

A very tall man came walking toward me from behind the scene, he held sheets of paper and came my way. Out of instinct, I backed up. "Miss, this weeks due was ten gold coins, owner of the home has given eight."

I looked down from the man to my bloody brother on the floor, trying to figure why he had lied. We had more than eight gold coins; we had around forty saved up.

"I can provide the extra two that we owe!" I pleaded.

"No can do. The payment has already been collected. As usual punishment, besides the beating, this home will not be able to receive bread this week." And with that the large man with the sheets of paper walked away. He looked at the men beside my brother and all at once those three guards got up and followed him.

I looked at my brother on the ground. I cried, I was so sad to see him like this, beaten up and I felt disgusted. I hurried to his side and placed his head on my lap, "Anthony, why did you do that?" I yelled. "We had more than enough for this week's pay!"

My brother's voice was barely audible, he kept his eyes closed, I could feel his pain as he stuttered while he whispered. "We need to get you out of here."

I put my long sleeve to his face, to wipe the blood that stained his cheeks and eyelids. "Stop saying that, I can't leave you!" I wept.

He opened his left eye and looked at me, his voice was so cracked that I had to put my ear to his mouth to comprehend his words. "We've got enough to get you out of here in a month, maybe two."

I ignored Anthony and continued to cry. "Marcus needed that bread, Anthony. And you gave up his meal for me!"

I looked at Anthony's sparkling brown eye, the only one that was opened, he put his hand to my cheek and smiled. "He's a young man, he can go a week without bread."

I smiled but my tears started to foam around my eye, it's weird to see my brother actually smile in this situation. Anthony attempted to get up from the ground and I helped him. We made our way to his home, which is where I also lived at. We saw little Marcus crawled up in the corner, he's probably heard the screams and saw the punches the men gave his father.

Once I sat Anthony on the couch, I walked over to his scared son, who had his knees covering his eyes. I looked at him, in his ripped jeans and dirty shirt. Their mother had passed away not to long ago and the youngest child seemed to still be depressed, as for Jullian, he was sitting at the kitchen table drinking out of a cup.

"Marcus, everything's okay." I said wiping my eyes. I grabbed his hands to move them from his face. His blue glossy eyes made me smile, he was so beautiful for an eight year old. Once he recognized me, he wrapped his arms around my shoulders. "Is he okay?" he asked.

"He'll be fine." I smiled, patting his head. I heard Julian put his cup in the sink. I turned to see his back, he was tall like his father but had a muscular body, he was forced to play for our district's soccer team. He was very skilled and was quite popular. Thank goodness he wasn't too stubborn and still came to visit his family, during his breaks.

Julian had brown hair, a stubble of brown hair for a beard and he also had glossy blue eyes. He had dark black lashes and dark brown eye brows. He wasn't a heavy man but I heard his feet pound on the floor, making their way to us, I noticed he gained much more muscle since I last saw him.

Julian crept next to us and sat down beside me and whispered into my ear.

"Stop lying to him."

I turned to him, turned to see the area around his pupils blood red.

"Marcus go into your room," he told his brother.

Marcus looked at Julian with frightened eyes but then turned around and quickly started to walk into his room. I heard his door shut.

I looked at Julian confused, "why are your eyes-"

Before I could finish my sentence I tried to remember Julian's age, he was only eighteen and it was legal for him to drink. He was probably drinking out of that cup of his.

I was nineteen; my brother got married young and had Julian right away. My brother is twice my age and so it wasn't weird for Julian to be almost the same age as me.

I then looked into Julian's eyes once more and I started to see some of the blood that clouded his pupil slowly fade away. I gulped when I saw him lick his lips.

"Gisele, could we talk outside?" He asked me.

"What about?" I questioned.

"I've got to tell you something," Julian said as he stood up and held his hand out to help me. I grabbed it and let go once I got up, I followed him out the door. We turned around the house and started to walk on the road. I made sure to leave a distance between us and I started to look around to see if anyone was outside, and if course they weren't. It was past ten and no one dared to be out when it was so dark, you weren't allowed to.

The further we walked away from our house, I couldn't take the silence and confusion so I finally spoke up to my large nephew, "What's wrong?"

He stopped in his tracks and looked at me up and down. He wore a cashmere fleece and dark blue jeans with black shoes. It was no surprised that he was certainly getting treated well, being on the soccer team and all.

I looked down at my clothing, I was wearing my white night gown, it was long and it covered over my feet. I had a small sweater that was zipped up and my long brown hair rested on my back.

I repeated myself, "What's wrong?"

I saw Julian part his lips, but before he could speak, we heard men talking from a distance. I turned to my right to see them, but I only heard their voices. It was too dark to see anything, even if it was a couple of feet away. I turned to look at Julian and noticed that he kept his eyes on the men coming towards us. I too gave them my full attention. I'm confused as to why we aren't running away from them, that is until I saw who was coming our way.

(picture of Gisele on side)