2

Once I saw the gold cane hit the ground and vibrate the road my feet stood upon, I looked over to Julian and saw that he already was kneeling on the floor. I too put my knees to the floor and kept my head down.

I've never seen King Desmond in person and if I knew he was going to be on my streets I would've tried to look presentable. But at the moment, I didn't dare to look up to him. I've never been in the presence of a King. Do I kiss his hand? Do I smile at him? Should I be afraid? A better question would be, what's he doing here? What's he doing here so late?

"Hello Julian," said a male.

I turned over to look at Julian who was now standing beside the man who called him, it took me a moment to realize he was a guard. They shook hands and smiled at each other. I was so confused and my face proved it.

"Rise and look at your King Desmond, miss." The same guard said, looking right at me.

I stood up and looked at the King. He was wearing a gold robe with a white long sleeve shirt and white pants underneath. His gold crown was placed on his head and shined bright, even in the dark; it was reflecting off the moon's light. His gold cane stayed still under his left hand and it was covered in jewels. His white beard suddenly scrunched up to his cheeks, he formed a smile.

"You were right, she's perfect." King Desmond said.

I was too afraid and shocked to speak up, but everything came to me at once, King Desmond was speaking to Julian. "Give him what he wants," King Desmond said, turning around and walking away with at least five guards by his side.

When I turned to face Julian I saw him collect a heavy bag full of coins from a guard. I didn't speak until I saw King Desmond get into his vehicle and his guards coming around to grab me.

I stayed still, unable to move. "What? Julian!"

He looked over to a guard who was holding my waist now, Julian came to me and kissed my cheek. He looked me dead in the eyes.

"My father and brother need this money, and you were a burden. I'll tell them you passed," He spat. I watched him as he walked away.

"No! Please!" I yelled as the guards pulled me into their arms and towards a small vehicle. "Julian! Don't do this!" I screamed. So much for getting out of here.

Neither of the guards tried to calm me down or stop me from screaming. No person would even be brave enough to get out of their homes to save me.

Question is, what is King Desmond going to do with me? Was I going to be a slave? A worker? What would King Desmond want with a poor girl like me?

In a matter of seconds I was placed onto a seat and a seatbelt was strapped over my lap. I tried to look out the window but there were black curtains on each one. I was in the middle of two large men who were buff and tall. I closed my eyes and laid my head back.

Julian sold me to King Desmond.

As I processed this new information my breathing started to increase and my chest bounced. The men beside me didn't seem to care about my state and were talking amongst each other. I started to pat my lap, as I was now gasping for air. The man to my left placed his hands on my back and started to rub it.

"Get me water!" He shouted. I put my hand to his knee and squeezed it as my eyes started to flutter and shut.

<>

I woke up to an unfamiliar bedroom. I laid on top of many pillows and two white blankets were wrapped around me. My head pounded and I remembered I was taken away. I got off the bed and put my feet to floor. I jumped back onto the bed and looked at the ground, the cold white blocks of tile froze my feet. I stayed in bed and looked around. I saw a shadow appear under the crack of the door and I heard a knock. I didn't plan on speaking but the intruder knew that, as he walked right in.