Chapter 41

My whole body was set to ablaze of emotion. Everything felt like it was cracking. I could almost see the lines in my mind spreading and filling with blood.

I was truly going to explode.

My eyes darted over to Elliot who's eye were in a daze, ragged, wild.

"My mom. My mom. MY mom is in there. Get her out!" He shouted, running towards the burning building. "Elliot no!" I screamed. Many officers ran towards Elliot, grabbing hold of him and pulling him back. "Sir. We're sorry. We have men still in there! Calm yourself Mr. Carter.!" They shouted.

"Calm? How do you expect me to stay fucking calm when my mothers in there possibly burnt crispy! And not only that- but Rayleens birth father is in there as well!" He shouted, trying to wiggle out of their grasp.

My eyes couldnt produce anymore tears.

I was simply bleak and mellow.

How shallow could I get right?

"Survivors! We have survivors! And they're stable!" I suddenly hear from the side of the building. 4 firefighters were rushing out of the building with Link, Linda and my dear kitty Jinx. My body finally gave in and I dropped to my knees. "Oh God," I gasp, and hold my stomach.

The nausua was overwhelming. They were fine. They were okay.

Elliot held his head in his hands and sighed. "They're okay. They're alive." I whisper, nodding my head. As soon as Link is within running distance, I bolt for him and wrap my arms around his body.

Why? I will never know.

"Thank God, you're alright." I whisper into his ash covered jacket. His hands are hesitant and slowly wrap over my shoulders. "I-I didnt know you cared." He whispers in disbelief. I pause for a moment and look up at him. "Yeah, me either." I admit solemnly. We continue to stare at each other. And I embrace his appearance.

His brown eyes, and scruffy shaven face. Oval shaped.

Just like mine.

A pointed curved nose.

Just like mine.

But the awkward shaped eyeballs? Most likely my mother.

Before I can extract any other similar physical traits, a fire fighter approaches us. "Officer Link, we need to escort you to the ER." He says softly

. "I ensure you I'm alright. Just a bit shocked to say the least." He says with a soft smile.

"Sir, It's my legal duty to make sure you have been checked out. Any thing could be damaged, especially your lungs, inhaling all of that smoke." The firefighter persues.

Link takes a deep inhale and glances at me, "Very well. But I'm telling you, I'm as healthy as a horse!" He says with a sigh, and smooths back my hair.

Like he would do a daughter. He just gave me my first father- daughter gesture. Is that some type of initation? What did that mean? Why did I suddenly care? Was it because he was just moments ago to be believed burnt like a Thanksgiving Turkey? My mind continued to bicker and come up with crazy solutions, but I just remained quiet.

For now it would remain nothing.

Once we got to the hospital, I was paranoid. Paranoid, that someone might reconize my face, and remember that outburst I had weeks ago in this very place.

Screaming and shouting.

Kicking and screaming.

Acting like a complete nutcase. And then I was labeled as one and admitted for 3 days.