Chapter 33

The next morning I woke up at dawn. My stomach growled and to my surprise I was willing to respond to it.

Eli still slept peacefully, snoring rather loudly and obnoxiously and I smiled at the sight of him. I kissed his temple and he snorted and smacked his lips and had an odd smile on his face.

Wanting to savor the funny sweet moment, I grabbed my phone and quickly snapped a picture of him.

This would be my blackmail.

I giggled at myself and silently slipped through the kitchen where I saw Linda. She had her hand on her forehead and a drink probed between her fingers. "Linda?" I whispered and made my way towards her. She didn't move.

"Linda?" I whispered a little louder and touched her shoulder. She immediately flinched up and her eyes were ragged.

"Oh me, oh my. You frightened me." She said, with an odd laugh.

She sounded highly intoxicated. "Linda are you, uh drunk?" I asked nervously.

She chuckled and closed her eyes, bowing her head and slamming her hand on the table. "Drunk? Now that would indicate that I was consuming liquor. You know what's in this glass? Apple juice. Fresh squeezed apple juice." She protested, pointing her finger in the air, to add expression to her deceleration.

I leaned forward to smell her cup.

That was apple juice alright, with rum. "Are you okay?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

Almost immediately tears bursts through her eyes. Her light benevolent face was distraught and it was ripping me to pieces. "What's wrong Mom?" I cringed at my own choice of words.

What the hell was wrong with me? I find out, I'm adopted and just go around claiming everyone was my mom! Oh goodness me.

"Eli's father." She cried out through sobs. "What about him?" I asked, anxiously.

"He-He had a heart attack last night." Her words struck me like lightening. My whole body burst up and Elliot stuck to my mind like glue. "Is-Is he, um, is he okay?" I was afraid to ask. "Yes. He's fine. He's in the hospital. His door is right next to Amy's actually." I took a exhale of relief. "When did this happen?" I ask.

"Yesterday afternoon." She replies, sniffling. I reach over and grab her a napkin, she takes it and thanks me, before blowing her nose. "Why didn't you tell him?" I asked. She knew who I was talking about. I didn't even need to say. "Because he adores his father. After what happened as a child, he stuck to him. They were thick as thieves. If he finds out, he will be devastated. His father doesn't even want him to know." A family secret? Great. Just what he needs. "We're going to see Amy today. Are you sure you don't want me to bring him by to see his dad?" I ask, hopefully. She shakes her and her eyes widen, "Oh please don't. I hate to put you in the middle of this, I really do. But please, please don't tell him. Let me. In time." She asks. Well the story thickens. Now I have to keep it from him too? It can't be that difficult. "Alright. I'll trust you with this." I whisper, I give her my word. "Thank you Rayleen." She whispers with a smile. I return the expression and turn on my heels. I needed a drink after this! My appetite soon subsided and I went to walk back to the room. "Oh and Rayleen." She calls back. I turn around and look at her, "You can call me Mom if you'd like. I already know you and my baby boy will be getting hitched soon. And I would be honored if you allowed me in your life as a mother figure. You can talk to me about anything. Please never hesitate."

Don't you hate it, when someone says something that puts you in an off mood, but then changes it by saying something so damn sweet? This was one of those moments. I couldn't be angry with her. She was trying to protect her only child. "Okay. Thank you. I really appreciate it." I say with a smile. "No problem. But can you tell Elliot his cousin is visiting here? I know he'll be delighted to hear that." She states.