Chapter 74: Make It Count

"O-Oh gosh, Lisa ... " My voice trails off in pure surprise, as I stare at the positive pregnancy test continuously. The last time she presented me with one of these was at Billie's Life Party, which involved me trying to convince Becky I wasn't the father, "You're pregnant?"

Her shaky breath is heard in the cold air around us, and I see her nod her head, "Y-Yeah ... "

"And are you going to keep it?" I question, my voice quiet and inviting.

She sighs, in both frustration and sadness, "I don't even know, Michael. I have no idea!" She turns herself to face me, as now I'm standing up behind her, the test in my hands, "Michael ... if I keep it, then it'll just remind me of Alex. That'll break me!"

It's not just hurting her, to be honest; it's killing me too. I've just lost my own biological child so that Becky could have her cancer treatment. That pain is still so new to me. Lisa has to keep this baby – I'll have it if she doesn't want it.

"Lisa ... look." My eyes shift their gaze downwards, as I kneel down to her level, "When we found out Becky had cancer, she was pregnant with our second child. But ... we had to have it aborted because it was too much of a risk to Becky's life. You have no idea how much it hurt me to say goodbye to my own child." My throat starts to tense up at the thought, whilst I feel myself choking up, "So don't—don't repeat that, please ... I'll adopt the child if you really want. Please; I don't want to see another child suffer."

She sits for a moment, taking in everything I've just said. Her eyes move to my hands, where the test is, "I was so excited about finding out I was pregnant. After I aborted the first child, me and Alex started talking, and we decided to try for real. Now we have, and ... now he's gone." A single tear rolls down her cheek during the last sentence.

Tears are threatening to form in my eyes too, but I'm trying so very hard not to show that. Just the idea of losing yet another child makes me feel sick. I've already lost three so far; I don't want to make it a fourth.

"W-Well, I think you should keep it," I decide once and for all, "And if you really want, you can decide where it goes once it's born. I'll adopt it, no problems at all, Lisa, but if you want to keep it for yourself, then that's also fine with me. Just as long as it stays alive ... "

Lisa exhales through her nose, in thought, "I'll decide soon. I need some time to think. My head's all over the place right now." Slowly, she lifts her head to look at the progress in the investigation, "My God, I'm gonna miss him so much ... "

I shrug a little, "It's understandable. I know it's still new to you; it's new to me and Becky too. But ... if you really want, we'll both be here for you." Collapsing to my knees again, I remain opposite her, offering her my hand.

"Lisa ... for everyone's sakes, let's end this feud now."

She gazes at my hand for a moment, looking slightly disorientated, but then she raises her own hand to shake mine, "Okay. No longer enemies."

Ending the three-year-long feud between me and Becky, and Lisa and Alex has put my mind at rest. We all need each other a little more than we did before, so it's rather pointless trying to remain as enemies now. I'm glad it's over.

"So ... what now?" Lisa then asks.

"It would probably be best if you stayed here to see what's going on with the investigation," I answer.

She nods, but then a thought must enter her mind, as she widens her eyes nervously, "Michael! What if they recognise me?"

My eyes furrow deeply in confusion, "Recognise you? Why would they—ohh."