Chapter 62: Goodbye Mommy

Michael's POV

One thing I can say with ease – I never thought driving home would be so hard. I feel sick to my stomach, and a feeling of dizziness is starting to invade my senses.

I just watched one of my friends die ... and that isn't something anyone should have to see.

I can't physically put into words how I'm feeling now. I simply want to be home, with Becky and the kids. My mind is still repeating the same question: How will I tell Jason and Ollie? How will I make them aware of this?

Stuart ... I can't believe what he's done. He's tricked his own wife into coming over, so he could kill her. And why did he want to kill her?

He said that me and Virginia were having an affair. So ... again, this is my fault.

Billie ... now Virginia.

What am I doing with my life? It seems that I'm causing the deaths of all the girls that ever loved me!

Finally pulling into the drive way, after the tedious, painful drive home, I get out my car, feeling myself trembling, and my legs feeling as if they're about to give way. I feel like I could collapse from what I've seen.

Becky's POV

I hear the front door open, and I pause the game of Snakes and Ladders I was having with Ollie to look across the room. Maybe Michael and Virginia are back. Who knows? Maybe this Stuart guy will be here too.

The living room door opens, and I see Michael walk in alone. He looks pale and weak, as if he's sick or something.

"Michael!" I leap up from my seat, "What's wrong? Where's Virginia?"

He remains silent, walking over to the sofa and collapsing – literally – onto it. He's now curled up in a ball on the sofa, trembling.

"Michael?" I question.

His breathing is heavy, and his eyes glazed over. He can't keep his eyes on one place; he keeps averting them around the room at a quick pace. The only thing he isn't looking at is me.

"G-Get Ollie outta here," he demands shakily.

I knit my eyebrows together in confusion, before looking at Ollie, who already has his glanced fixed on me and Michael.

"Ollie, sweetie ... just go to Jason for a minute. I'll come up when we can finish the game of Snakes and Ladders," I tell him.

He nods, and silently makes his way to the door, before disappearing out of sight. My gaze returns to Michael, and I give him a concerned, yet curious look.

"Are you going to tell me what's happened? And where Virginia is?" I repeat.

Michael closes his eyes, burying his head into his hands. He removes his feet from the sofa, disbanding his curled-into-a-ball position and sitting normally.

"W-We got to Stuart's house, and," his voice takes on a deep tone, and he keeps swallowing to be able to talk properly, "He was sat on the bed, holding the gun. He explained th-that he thought me and," he swallows again, "Me and Virginia were having an affair. I told him we weren't, but he di—he didn't believe me. There was more discussion, and then ... like that, he shot the gun, and," tears form in his eyes, and he takes a deep, shaky breath, "He killed Virginia."

I gasp, so much so that my breath catches in the back of my throat, and my heart skips a beat. My hand reaches up to touch my neck, and I swallow, unsure on what to even say.

"He killed Virginia, and told me he wanted ... nothing to do with the kids," Michael explains further.

"My God," I breathe. "B-But what are we meant to do with Jason and Ollie? W-What are we going to tell them?"