Chapter 73: Why Would He Leave Me Alone Like That?

Well, we've made it to the hospital, so now I'm okay again. The nurses and doctors were told I'm a cancer patient, so they made me quite a priority. The pain is gone, and the scar is doing ... alright, I guess. They've sorted my wound; they've stitched it back together as best as possible, and they've placed a dressing over it – which is basically a huge plaster. It's going to stop the wound from becoming infected, and from opening again – something I doubt any of us want.

Michael has been at my side throughout the entire thing. He's been amazing for me; I really wish I could find some way to repay him for everything he's done for me. The thing I'm worried more about, though, is if someone discovers Alex's body at the park. It's likely that they'll also spot the picnic – which will make the police believe that whoever was having the picnic killed him.

"Michael?" my soft voice lets out.

He's currently sitting on the bed by my side, holding me in his arms. His head is close to mine; his nose and mouth leant against the side of my own head.

His lips lightly press against my temple in comfort, before he averts his eyes to me fully, "Yeah, sweetheart? Are you hurting? Need something?" he inquires sweetly.

My head shakes slowly, "No, no ... I'm just worried about what's gonna happen with Alex's body. And the picnic; what if someone thinks we killed Alex?" I question nervously.

He furrows his eyebrows, sliding his hand down my arm until it reaches my hand, then he laces his fingers with mine, "It won't happen, and I can promise that. They won't think it's us at all. Okay?"

"But they have fingerprints and stuff, so they might think we—"

"Exactly! Fingerprints. There'll be fingerprints on the gun, too, so they'll identify them as Alex's. You have nothing to worry about, alright?" He kisses my temple once more, in reassurance.

"But won't it look a little strange, having a random picnic there next to a dead body?" I press anxiously, gripping his hand tighter.

A small, exasperated sigh comes from Michael's lips, making me feel guilty for being so jittery, "Sweetheart, listen. If it makes you feel any better, I can go down right now and take the picnic stuff away from the park, so no one will find it. How 'bout that?" he offers.

I nod my head in response, "Please ... " My head leans against his chest, as he strokes my hair gently to soothe me, "It'll put my mind at rest."

Michael nods, and I feel the movement of his head against the top of my own head as he does, "Well, I'll have to go now, then. I won't be long, though, okay?" He begins to stand himself up, carefully placing my head down on the pillow properly. "I'll be back as soon as possible," he continues, before bending down to kiss my lips, "Don't go running down too many corridors whilst I'm gone, heh?" he teases.

A small smile forms on my lips, "I doubt I would be able to anyway. My wound ruins it."

Michael then lets out a sudden burst of laughter, "That was the point of the joke, you silly little thing! Rest now, sweetheart." He pecks my forehead lovingly, grabbing his jacket, "I love you."

"I love you too," I reply, watching him exit the building. Once he's out of view, I heave a hopeless sigh, sinking lower under the blanket. "I love you ... too," I repeat in a whisper, despite him not being here to hear it.

--

Michael's POV

I'm almost back at the park now. I'm just hoping and praying that nobody has noticed that Alex is lying dead there. It's a little scary, when you think about it; a dead body – of someone we knew – is lying in a park ... typically a place of enjoyment.