Chapter 8: It's Happening

I'm sitting in my room, not speaking, not moving, not doing anything.

I know Michael's been scared away by mom, and he's made that quite obvious. I don't blame him, to be honest.

I was never like this with Gary, though. He was just a random guy, who I only thought I loved. Looking back now, I realise I don't, and never did.

It's been 25 minutes since I stormed up here to my room, and mom and dad have decided to stay clear of bothering me for the next few hours.

Well, at least I'm assuming. I heard mom and dad arguing a little downstairs a few minutes back, and I heard my name and Michael's come up, so they're talking about us.

I thought it was gonna go better than that, I thought mom was really gonna make an effort to like Michael.

Dad was fine, and I love him for that. But it makes no difference whether dad hates or loves Michael, cos he won't be coming back.

I hear the doorbell, but I don't move. I hear footsteps out in the hall, and then I hear dad's voice.

"Michael, I think Becky's mother over-reacted a little. Don't let her bother you, cos I really like you. Don't give up on Becky, she's my little girl, and I want her to be happy.."

Aww, daddy's so sweet!

I listen to dad continue, "and she really gets happiness from you. I realise that you've known each other little more than a few days, but if you get to know each other a little more, have a few more dates, I think you can start to grow into something very special."

"But.. I don't wanna make anything awkward, y'know, if Becky's mother doesn't like me. I wouldn't wanna get her angry. I mean, I have a strong feeling for your daughter, but if your wife won't allow it, then--"

"No, Michael, don't listen to her. She over-reacts so badly in situations like this. Come inside, speak to my wife, then go speak to Becky."

"She won't let me call her by her first name, Mr. Summers," Michael says nervously.

I creep onto the landing and listen and watch.

"Michael," dad places his hand on Michael's shoulder, "Just trust me when I say this. Becky's mother is very strict when it comes to men, and it's only because she doesn't trust them herself. She's had a tough past, and it took time for her to accept me, never mind her daughter's men. So, let her get to know you more, then I know she'll love you. Alright? Oh, and by the way.. my wife's name is Philippa. But I suggest not calling her by her first name until she likes you. That won't take a lotta time, so just sit and wait. You'll see."

"So, what do you suggest I do now, Mr. Summers?"

"Hey, what did I tell you about calling me that? It's Dave. See, I don't mind what you call me. But.. I suggest you speak to my wife, get her to understand you. Then go speak to Becky, because I know how fond she is of you."

"Alright.. thank you, I'll go speak to Becky's mother right now," Michael walks from the hall way.

Great, how will I know what's being said now he's out the hallway? Hmm, I'm gonna sneak downstairs.

I start to walk downstairs, but dad starts to walk up, so I make a dash for my room. A silent dash, but a dash all the same.

I get in my room about two seconds before dad enters the room.

"Becky sweetheart?" he calls quietly.

I look up, trying not to pant from breathlessness from running.