Chapter 60: Children

The morning after

"Why don't we all do something together, just to pass the time?" Michael asks.

It's the first morning with Virginia, Ollie and Jason staying here, and Michael's trying to make an effort to please everyone.

The others aren't awake yet; just me and Michael. We're downstairs, whilst the others are upstairs sleeping.

"Like?" I push him for an answer.

"I dunno... go to the park? Have a walk around there for an hour or so?" he suggests.

"Well, we could, but it really depends on what they wanna do," I reply.

"We can ask them," he answers. "I'm sure they'd like to do something with us; just to pass a little time."

"Oh, you've still not told me exactly why they're here," I point out.

"Oh. Last night she came to my office at work, and said that her husband was being domestically violent. She didn't wanna go back home in case he was there. Do you really blame her?" he explains.

"No... I don't blame her. Why would I blame her?"

"Cos you've been saying how much bad stuff can happen between me and her, but it isn't gonna happen, sweetheart."

I look up at him, somewhat forlornly, "I'm sorry. I'm just... insecure. Alex cheated, so... I dunno. I just feel like I might get hurt again."

He cups my face in his hands, and plants a soft kiss on my forehead, then my lips, "I promise I won't hurt you."

I blink twice, quickly, then nod my head, "Okay, I trust in you."

He gives a warm smile, glad that I trust him, before looking behind me, at the door. I turn my head, and avert my eyes to where he's looking, to see Ollie – the youngest of Virginia's children –standing in the doorway sleepily.

"Morning, Mr Jackson. Morning, Miss Summers," he greets sweetly.

"Hey Ollie... did you sleep good?" Michael asks, his voice taking on a slightly babyish tone due to the fact he's talking to a small child.

"Yeah, I did," he answers, rubbing his eyes tiredly and walking further into the room, "Mommy and Jason are still sleeping. Where's Miracle?"

"Miracle?" I repeat. "Oh, she's in her cot. I'm not sure if she's sleeping or not. She probably is; always is normally."

Ollie dashes over to the cot, his fatigue seemingly non-existent now, and peers into the cot to see if Miracle's awake or asleep. He grins, "She's awake! She's awake! Can I hold her?"

Me and Michael exchange glances, almost like we're communicating with one another.

"Uh... sure. But under my supervision," Michael decides. He walks over to the cot, and lifts Miracle out of it, rocking her side to side in his arms, "Hey sweetie. We've got a friend for you. It's Ollie. Say hello to Ollie, Miracle."

Michael then takes a hold of Miracle's arm, and flails it around gently as if she's waving, causing Ollie to giggle cutely. Michael carries her to the sofa, and sits down, Ollie sitting beside him.

"Now, you gotta be real careful, cos she's very small, and can feel pain more than we can. If she gets hurt, she'll be very upset," Michael explains to Ollie. "But being the big boy you are, I don't think you'll hurt her in any way at all!"

"I won't hurt her," Ollie says enthusiastically. "I won't, I won't!"

Michael chuckles, before carefully passing Miracle over, "Here ya go, little man."