Chapter 47: A Better Michael...

This is probably the longest chapter I've ever done... sorry! But I think you'll like it. ;)

31 December, 1992

"Ooh, only a minute until 1993!" Michael squeals.

We're having a New Year's party, and everyone we know is here. We came home from Italy on December 23, the day after my birthday.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven..." every guest begins to count down.

We're outside, and as soon as we get to one, a load of fireworks are going to go off. It's gonna be great!

On three, Michael whips me around to face him.

"Kiss me," he demands.

Before I can reply, his lips quickly press against mine, and we hear "One!" followed by a series of loud bangs from the fireworks.

He continues to kiss me sweetly, pulling me closer to him and wrapping his arms around me to keep me warm.

I decide to pull away, and he can't help but grin.

"We just shared a kiss since last year," he giggles childishly.

I roll my eyes and he places his arm around me. "Well, 1992 only seems like yesterday."

"Possibly because it was?" he replies sarcastically, still laughing from his own comment.

I look over at Jasper and Charlie, and they're sharing a kiss under the light of the fireworks. They're so cute, I could scream.

"Look at them," I say to Michael, pointing at the boys. "They're literally the cutest couple I know."

"Oh, I know. Just think, if I didn't meet you, I might not have met either of them," he replies.

"I know... God, I'm so glad things have gone the way they have."

"So am I."

"So... 1993, huh? Spent over a year and a half together, almost two years."

"Oh, I know!" he beams. "And every single day, it seems to get better!"

"Things can only get better with you."

"I could say the same thing... like, at the beginning of our relationship, you just lost your baby, Alex and you had just broken up, me and Lisa weren't on good terms, your mom didn't like me... but now it's all starting to, well... fall into place, gradually. Look at us, a year and a half on, expecting a child in a month and a half, your mom finally liking me, Lisa and Alex out of our lives - for now. It's getting better, sweetheart."

"It is," I breathe. "I'm so excited for our future. Apart from the worry of Alex or Lisa's return, or maybe both, nothing can hurt me or get to me, us, now."

"That's the spirit. Cos with you, Mini and me, we don't need anything else."

"Becky, Michael!" I hear Jasper shout.

I turn to see Jasper and Charlie looking at us, ushering us over to them.

"Hey, finished your make-out session yet?" Michael teases.

"You noticed? Oh, we were trying to be tame," Charlie jokes.

"Anyway, what's up?" I ask.

"I just wanted to say the party's great!" Jasper answers. "But I wanna make an announcement to everyone. Well, it's not so much an announcement, just--you'll see!"

I nod, "Okay, babe. Michael, can you get everyone hush-i-fied?" I ask.

"You and your made-up words," Michael mutters under his breath, with a small laugh.