Chapter 4: You Give Me Fever

After the initial numb shock has worn off, I finally feel Michael's arms around me, comforting me on the loss of my child.

"Becky.. I'm so sorry.. I don't know what to say," he says with such innocence.

I look down, unsure on how to reply to such a statement.

And it feels a little strange, my doctor embracing me. But I won't complain. I'd take any kind of care right now.

Except Alex's. I want to murder him. I could quite happily grab a knife and stab him for what he's done to me.

"Michael.. I don't know how to repsond to anything at the moment. I'm sorry if I'm not very talkative, I'm just.." my emotions take over and tears start to stream down my face, "I'm all over the place.. Alex hurt, not just me, but he killed our child!"Michael only pulls me closer to him at my response.

"I'll make sure you're ok, Becky. You're my patient, and I'll make sure you're happy," he says.

"He hurt me because he found out about you.. because I found out about his affair with Lisa.." I mutter dejectedly.

Michael's eyes widen.

"Because of me? Oh god.. Becky, I'm so sorry..!"

Michael's voice has become full of worry, and sorrow.. and a hint of pity.

I release myself from his embrace and look him in the eye.

"I.. he saw me calling you.. your number was on the phone screen.. he.. Alex asked me who's number it was, so I told him.. I said, "it's Michael's, my doctor, the one who's wife you're cheating on me with," and he lost it, started kicking me, hurting me, and even when I started getting that serious pain in my stomach, he still didn't stop! I told him to stop, I told him, Michael.. I told him to stop and he went right on and kicked me again and again.. then you came, and you saved me.. so I'm grateful to you, Michael.. you saved me.. but it was too late to save my child.."

My voice sounds weaker, still pained from the events of today.

Michael places his hand under my chin, and lifts my head up to look him in the eye.

The feel of his touch is just..

Control yourself, Becky. You've just lost your child, have some respect.

"Hmm.. why were you gonna ring me, anyway?" Michael asks.

He's obviously trying to change the subject so that I don't get too upset.

"It was initially because.. I was gonna ring you to say I got a fever.. like you said, earlier today.. I rang you cos I got a fever.."

"Fever, huh? Like, a real fever?"

Why did he have to ask that?! I don't wanna answer that..

"Becky?"

Looks like I waited too long to answer.

"Well.." I say weakly.

Michael looks me in the eyes. His eyes are just so.. deep, they're deep. They're such a perfect shade of brown, I can't help but get lost in them..

"Becky, yoo-hoo?" Michael tries to catch my attention, and I shake my head and look at his whole face again.

"What..?"

"Oh, I just wanted you to answer my question.. did you, like, have a real fever or not?" Michael asks, sorta half seductively.

Hmm, he's teasing me again..