Chapter 20: Soon

Becky's POV

My eyes flicker and open slowly, and white light blurs my vision.

"She's awake, see," I hear.. Michael.. his voice.. telling someone.

"You know your stuff," I hear my mother's voice.

My eyes finally process the image in front of me, and I see.. Michael, mother, father, Charlie and Jasper.

"Hey, Becky," Jasper smiles down at me.

"I'm so glad you're alright!" Michael grins, stroking my cheek gently. My eyes avert to his face, and I smile faintly.

"I.. can someone remind me of what just happened?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

"I don't think you wanna remember, sweetheart," Michael replies.

Then, I remember. Michael doesn't even need to tell me.

Lisa and Alex tried to shoot me, but my mom stopped them.

And.. after that.. is all a blur.

I sit bolt upright, looking left to right frantically, in search of Alex or Lisa.

Or both.

My breathing becomes heavy.

"Hey, calm down, baby. Lisa and Alex are gone," Michael assures me. It's like he knew what was up with me.

"W-Where are they?" I ask weakly.

"The police took them away, to revive them. They should be awake now, and then they're gonna be interviewed," Jasper explains.

"B-But how did this..?" I can't think of a phrase, so my voice trails off.

"You just fainted from shock, that's all," Michael explains.

"I.. I'm sorry," I whimper, and Michael bends down to kiss my forehead.

"What for? You saved me.. if you hadn't have been here, neither would your mother, who saved you. There's no need to be sorry," he says calmly.

"Thank you, mom," I whisper, and she smiles down at me.

"I'm just glad you're ok, darling," she says.

"And.. there's another thing," Michael pipes up.

"What?" I demand quietly.

Michael comes closer to me, and leans his head by my ear, before whispering; "Your mother finally accepts me."

I can't help but smile. It's taken her over a month, more than that, for her to accept him.

"And now, with Lisa and Alex out of our lives for the time being, we can start our lives together," Michael changes the subject with a huge grin on his face.

"Thank God," I lean back onto the pillows I was previously lying on, and close my eyes for a moment. "This really shook me up."

"Of course it did, Becky. But the main point is.. we're all alive, and we're all ok. Just think of that, ok?" Charlie tells me.

I nod, agreeing with his statement, and open my eyes once again.

Michael is gazing at me, his eyes sparkling beautifully, and he takes my hand in his, and rubs my knuckles with his thumb.

"Things can only get better from now, y'know."

6 days later, 28 August, 1991

"So, tomorrow's your birthday," I smile, tapping Michael's nose.

We're sitting on the bed at my parents' house, just enjoying each other's company.