Chapter 58: Short-Lived Summers

June 14, 1993

"Well, here we are sweetheart," Michael tells me.

It's currently me and Michael's two year anniversary, and we just arrived in the city. Jasper and Charlie are looking after Miracle so me and Michael can have the entire day to ourselves.

"Yes we are," I agree with him.

We get off the train, stepping onto the platform and heading out of the train station. Once we're out into the actual city, the atmosphere immediately makes me feel a sense of excitement.

"What should we do first then?" Michael asks.

"Hm... let's go shopping!" I suggest playfully.

"Well... seeing as it's our anniversary, and you mean the entire world to me... then sure," he gives in straight away.

"Yay!" I squeal, a little too enthusiastically.

We walk down the busy streets, looking in shop windows to see if they contain items we could possibly want. When I come across a store called Americandy, I practically jump up and down in excitement.

"Michael, Michael, this one has so much candy! We could get some for Jasper and Charlie, and... and us!" I explain quickly, feeling somewhat hyper.

Michael simply chuckles, shaking his head, "If it means that much to you, then okay."

I grin as I drag him in to the huge candy store, and as soon as we enter, we're greeted with every kind of candy you could ever imagine. We browse around the store, admiring the various colours and patterns.

This place has everything: gum balls, Gummy Bears, popping candy, nougat, caramel apples, candy canes, bonbons, M&Ms, chocolate in the most magical, beautiful shapes... the list goes on for eternity.

Eventually I settle on what to actually get for Jasper and Charlie, and I even pick a little something for me, too. After paying, we leave the shop and continue with our exploring.

I see a toy shop, and immediately think of Miracle. There's bound to be something in there that she would love.

"Michael, can we go in there? We could get something for Miracle!" I say.

He beams, but controls it by biting his lip, "Of course!"

So we do – we enter the store, and toy trains, cars, teddy bears, dolls, action figures, Super Soakers, board games and outdoor equipment are arranged in aisles – with a giant train track winding and twisting throughout the entirety of the store.

"Let's try find baby toys," I decide.

We go down each aisle, searching for any kind of childish toys. After much searching, we come across a section of cuddly teddies, rag dolls and baby blankets.

"Here we go," I say.

I lift a baby blanket from its shelf, and cover my face with it playfully, "Where's the Becky?" I tease.

"Gee, I don't know. Where's the Becky gone?" Michael asks in response.

I quickly uncover my face, and we both say simultaneously, "There she is!"