Chapter 51: Thankful

7 March, 1993

"Oh, little Miracle, I love you, and I want the whole world to know...
Oh, little Miracle, you mean the world to me, and I want to let it show..."

Michael is cradling Miracle in his arms, singing a spontaneous tune repeatedly to keep her calm, and it's honestly the cutest thing I've ever witnessed.

Once we arrived at the hospital on the day of her birth, we were checked over, then two days later we were sent home. Miracle has been alive for six days all-in-all, and they've been the six best days of my life so far.

I sit back on the sofa watching Michael walk around the living room, keeping Miracle close to his chest, occasionally kissing her forehead, and rocking her gently.

"I just can't get over it," he states, turning his attention to me.

"I know," I breathe.

"I mean, anyone can say they're a father... but how many people can say they're a father to a biological child despite having a low sperm count? We've defied the odds, sweetheart. It's just..."

He can't even finish his sentence, because with one quick glance at Miracle, he's set off, tearing up at the idea of being a father.

I stand myself up and walk over to them both, rubbing Michael's shoulders and kissing Miracle's forehead.

"I know, Michael. We're special."

"Hell yes, we're special. You know, the day you were giving birth, and I went into doctor mode, I wasn't just being professional... I mean, I felt like I had to do my job as a doctor, to help you, but... I felt a way I've never felt before..."

"Explain," I demand softly.

"Well," he starts. "I guess... I could've been a doctor to any woman in labour, right?"

I nod, indicating him to continue.

"Right, but with you... it was different. Knowing that the child you were giving birth to was actually mine just... gave me such a buzz. It's a feeling you'll never get to experience, y'know. Only a father can really get that in-the-moment adrenaline rush. It's incredible..."

He looks down at Miracle again, and kisses her forehead lightly, watching her sleep in his arms.

"The mother can't really experience it, cos she's in too much pain, but the father can," he continues.

I smile up at him, and he kisses my lips lightly.

"And being the father of a child, and being with you is just all my dreams come true..."

"I get it," I assure him. "It's all just so overwhelming, isn't it?"

"God, it really is. But it's the most beautiful kind of overwhelming in the world."

"I agree," I smile.

We exchange soft smiles, but our sweet moment is interrupted when the doorbell goes.

"Oh, could you get that sweetheart? Kinda got my hands full here," Michael chuckles.

I look down at Miracle and kiss her forehead, before smiling up at Michael and walking to the front door.

I open it, and my eyes light up at the sight of Jasper standing there - but without Charlie.

"Jasper, hey! Where's Charlie?" I ask.

He scoffs, "We're just going through a rough patch, that's all. He's at home."

He decides to change the subject quickly. "So, can I see Miracle? I've been dying to meet her properly. I couldn't really do that at the hospital."