Sixty Eight: "I'm your fairy godmother, that's who I am"

×× Skylar ××

A full month had gone by: a month of total sadness, confusion in Justin's case, loneliness and pain. Some days, Skylar was convinced that she was okay. She'd wake up and fix her hair and dress well, put on a smile and head to campus... then she'd see Justin and it would all come back to her.

Today was a day she decided to take time off so she could study. She stacked all that she needed on her desk and was in her element, even having fantasies of taking off and being in Europe for the first time ever.

She imagined settling into her dorm at her new college and making new friends, having a new spot to chill out like a restaurant or a park... having no problems, whatsoever. Just being at peace with herself, knowing that drama no longer followed her around.

After a long morning, Skylar heard some banging in the kitchen. If it was her mother, she wasn't in a good mood.

She went to see what was going on and, surely, Angela was throwing things about, slamming the fridge door and loudly going about, making lunch for herself.

"Rough day at work?" Skylar dared to ask.

Angela pulled a folded piece of paper out of her pocket and put it on the counter.

"I want you to explain this to me, Skylar." She said.

Skylar slowly picked up the piece of paper and realised it was a cheque for $100 000.

She sighed and put the cheque down again.

"Why was Jeremy at my workplace, Skylar?"

"I don't know." Skylar said.

"How do you know that man? How did he find us, Skylar?"

"What did he say to you?"

"He told me that this was your reward that you'd turned down. That's pretty much it. Now, I want you to answer my question because I'm pissed, in case you haven't realised. Did you do some digging? Did you go looking for him just to piss me off?" Angela crossed her arms.

"He's Justin's-- why would I go digging? What are you talking about, momma?"

"He's Justin's what?"

"He's Justin's dad."

"And what's the reward for? What did you do with that man, Skylar Miller?" Angela raised her voice.

"Nothing, I swear."

"Then what would possess him to give you this much money?!"

Skylar was shocked at her mother's tone and temper. She'd never seen Angela this heated up before and it made her the slightest bit upset.

"Why are you mad at me? Why didn't you ask him all of this?" Skylar asked.

Angela looked up at the ceiling, trying to take back some tears.

"Momma." Skylar spoke softly. "Talk to me."

"I told you, Skylar, very specifically to stay the hell away from that white boy. Did I not tell you that? Huh?"

"Mom--"

"Skylar, how could you be so stupid?"

"Me? You're the one who took the money!"

"I am five seconds away from slapping you, little girl." Angela chuckled.

Skylar slowly crumpled up the cheque and a voice filled her ears, almost like she was reliving the moment with Jeremy in his car.

'...Don't waste your time with him. It won't work out. It never does with a guy like him and a girl like you. Your mother knows.'

"Momma, do you know Jeremy Bieber? Do you have a history with him?"