Fifty Seven: Fun and games

×× Justin ××

It was amazing riding bikes in the middle of the night, Justin thought. The streets were basically empty and all that could be heard was their laughter and talking.

They ended up at a park, lying on the grass, looking up at the sky.

"... so we ended up sleeping out in the tree house instead. All of us." Justin had been telling Skylar about a time in his childhood when, somehow, his dad had lost the house keys and the housekeeper was away for the weekend.

Skylar couldn't stop laughing. The idea of two adults and three children cooped up in a little tree house was hilarious to her.

"And it was my mom's bright idea. I was all for a night in a hotel, like my dad wanted." Justin smiled.

"Did you even manage to get some sleep in the tree house?"

"When you thought you were getting sleep, someone's foot would find its way to your face. It was horrible. And with the hole in the roof, everyone wanted to snuggle and stuff. But not me and Jaxon."

Skylar giggled.

"Too cool for that, huh?"

"That's what we thought." Justin smiled. "But not anymore. I could cuddle up with you all day."

Skylar looked at Justin and smiled.

"I wish we were able to spend a bit more time together earlier on after we..." she blushed.

"Me too." Justin smiled. "But I'll make it up to you. I promise."

"I thought this was your idea of making it up to me."

"Babe, you're talking to the guy who took you to a skate park for a date and almost got you in trouble for it. Expect the unexpected."

"You're going to make me hate surprises, Justin."

"You'll always love mine."

Skylar smiled and rolled onto her tummy.

"What were you about to ask me back at your place before Nicole came through?" She asked.

Justin looked at her and smiled slightly.

He'd honestly hoped that Skylar would've forgotten about that.

"It wasn't important." He said.

"It was. You looked at me some type of way."

"Sky..."

"Come on, Justin. You know that you can talk to me about anything. Is it about your dad?"

He sighed.

"Sort of." He said.

"Tell me."

He looked into her eyes and saw warmth in them. It's what made it so easy for him to talk to Skylar.

"I was going to ask if you'd run away with me if I asked you to." He said.

Skylar said nothing.

"It's a stupid thing to ask." He said. "Never mind."

"You seriously want to run away?"

"I think about it sometimes. I know it would be hard in the beginning but I have a plan."

"You have a plan."

"Yes. My grandpa's will states that I'm to graduate in order to get my inheritance. He didn't say what course I was meant to graduate and my architectural one ends next year. That money can keep us surviving for a long while, until we're able to get jobs and all of that. It makes perfect sense."