Ten: This thing called coincidence

×× Skylar ××

She looked at her reflection in her full length mirror in her bedroom, wondering if her outfit was good enough for her date with Sean.

Skylar had on a short peach jumpsuit that had a lowcut V shaped neckline. She wore a pair of brown high heel ankle boots too but couldn't quite decide what jacket to put on.

Romeo had agreed to drive her to the mall where Skylar and Sean would watch a movie and have something to eat. At least Sean had let Skylar pick the date location. She could easily get away if she really needed to, she thought.

Skylar picked out her cropped light brown leather jacket and put it on then she got her brown purse and put her phone in it.

She wasn't very excited for the date but she hadn't been on a date in a while. Her last date was when she was 17. She and this boy from her school, Noah-- a cute boy with soft black curly hair, of Greek decent, who happened to be the high school's basketball captain-- had been flirting for a while. When he finally asked Skylar out, she felt like she'd hit the lotto. Unfortunately, Noah was more physically attracted to Skylar and couldn't care less what she had to say. All he wanted to do on the date was make out and get in her pants.

It was pretty clear that Skylar had bad luck when it came to guys but a small part of her was still hopeful that real love was on the way and maybe Sean was the answer... if he'd just stop talking about himself so much.

"Skylar, Romeo's here for you." Angela called from the living room.

Skylar checked her makeup and hair once more and put on some perfume. She got everything she needed and left her room to meet her friend.

"Ooh look at you." Romeo grinned and opened her arms to hug Skylar.

"Hey." Skylar smiled and hugged Romeo.

"Don't come back too late, now." Angela told the girls.

As far as she knew, Romeo and Skylar were the ones hanging out that evening.

"We wont." Romeo promised.

She took Skylar's hand and opened the front door.

"Enjoy the rest of your evening, Ms M." Romeo waved.

"You too." Angela smiled.

The girls drove off in Romeo's car and, not to Skylar's surprise, Romeo had lots to say.

"If he gives you a hard time, call me. I'll sort him out. If he tries to kiss you and you don't want to-- maybe cause he got garlic breath-- call me. He tries to touch your boobies or poonani, call me. He tries--"

"Romeo, chill." Skylar smiled, "I'll be fine."

"Hope you got me on speed dial. Imma be around the mall too with Za and Alfredo to discuss some college project Alfredo's working on so... you know... I got backup if we need it."

"You're more worried about me being alone with one guy when you're hanging out with two?"

"One and a half." Romeo corrected. "Xavier... he's... he's a bit of a softie. If he tried to attack me, I'd pretty much give him a kiss and he'd pass out. Alfredo, however... he's South American too so... I got pepper spray for him if he tries to get lucky."

"You don't play."

"Not with my life, I don't." Romeo rolled her eyes. "I've been mugged once and I fought for my phone, dude. I don't play. I knew that if that iPhone went away, I'd be back to using that BlackBerry."

Skylar laughed and shook her head.

"Remind me not to mess with you."

"Tell that to Sean." Romeo said.