Fifty Five: "I want to help you"

×× Justin ××

As he sat on his bed, strumming his guitar, Justin's phone came alive with a text.

It had been a long week filled with assignments and lots and lots of classes. Memories of his last date with Skylar kept him smiling throughout the hectic week though, keeping him sane.

He picked up his phone then tossed it aside when he saw that the text was from his dad.

What could he possibly want now? What could he possibly want to argue about this time?

Justin couldn't wait til he graduated. He actually didn't even think he'd wait til graduation to leave. Each time he thought about his dad-- the man he had become-- he got so worked up.

He picked up his phone again to read the message: 'come over to the house asap. We need to talk.'

Justin rolled his eyes and checked his watch. It was almost sunset and he'd made plans to order pizza and get his friends together for a night of fun on this really chilled Friday evening. He'd sent out texts and everything! Now his dad was going to ruin his mood.

He sighed and slowly got up from his bed then he went to change into a pair of dark jeans, a white tank top and a pair of red Vans.

"Where are you off to?" Alfredo asked when Justin walked out of his room.

"Uhm... going to pick up some stuff for tonight." He smiled, lying.

"Okay. Hope you get some beer."

"Okay."

"Hey, JB?"

"Yes, Fredo?"

"There's this new British chick who's in my photography class... I kinda invited her over. Is that okay?"

"Is she anything like that weird Britney chick you once brought over?"

"Nope. She's really nice."

"Then she can come." Justin smiled.

Alfredo smiled too.

"Nice to see you almost have a girlfriend." Justin walked to the door.

"Whatever, man."

When he got to his father's house, Justin let himself in and found his dad reading something off his iPad from the living room.

"Hello, son." Jeremy said, looking at Justin.

"Dad."

"Come and have a seat."

Justin sighed and walked over to a single seater in the room. Silently, he prayed that this would end quickly.

"So... what did I do wrong this time?" Justin asked.

"I think you already know, son." Jeremy put his iPad down.

"Bet you're gonna tell me anyway." Justin faked a smile.

"The way you carry on, you should be on punishment. Like the little boy you behave like."

"Maybe I wouldn't be much of a problem if my sweet, loving daddy was good to me." He said sarcastically.

"Maybe you wouldn't be much of a problem if you moved back here with me."

Justin scoffed.

"I moved out for a reason, dad. You're married to that reason."

"Elizabeth is very kind to you."

"She's mom's replacement, either way."

"That's not true, Justin."

"Keep telling yourself that, FATHER. If it keeps you from thinking about mom, keep telling yourself that."