Eight: Broke girls and their wishes

×× Skylar ××

It rained hard after a full day of lectures. Skylar found herself sitting impatiently in the coffee shop, waiting for the rain to pass so she could get to the bus station. For once, she wished she had come to campus in that blue tin can called a Toyota.

Romeo's classes had ended early so Skylar was left to be a loner.

They hadn't quite spoken about Justin's party, mainly because Romeo avoided the topic. There was something going on between Romeo and that Za boy that was Justin's friend, Skylar knew, but Romeo just didn't want to talk about it.

Skylar enjoyed herself that night, even though she ended up losing Romeo and slept on the couch. The look on Justin's face the next morning still embarrassed Skylar. And she'd stained his cushion...

"Hey, Skylar."

Skylar snapped out of her thoughts and managed a smile as she looked up at Justin.

He was slightly wet from the rain but he still managed to look cute. He had a blue beanie on and the hair that peeked from beneath it was wet. He also had on a grey trench coat over a light blue button down shirt and a navy blue hoodie. His dark jeans were wet at the legs and so were his sneakers. But he still managed to look cute.

"Hey. Justin." Skylar said, "You got caught in the rain."

"Unfortunately." He took his beanie off.

"You can sit if you want." Skylar offered.

Having Justin there would beat sitting alone while most people were coupled up and keeping each other warm.

Justin took a seat and smiled to himself as he took in Skylar's features.

Her hair was up in a puffed to out ponytail almost at the top of her head. She had on a pair of faded jeans, black boots and a studded black leather jacket over a white tank top.

Justin didn't think Skylar was warm enough in those clothes. Plus she was a bit wet too from the rain. But, in front of her were two empty cups and Justin knew that she'd had warm drinks to keep warm.

"So..." Skylar broke the silence.

Justin looked into her brown eyes and smiled at her. He had to come up with a topic to avoid an awkward situation.

"I'd been wondering if you got home safely after you left my dad's place." Justin said.

"Oh, yeah. Thanks. I got home safely." Skylar said.

She was quite moved that Justin had been thinking about her all weekend. She'd been thinking about him too but it didn't feel right to her because she had a date with Sean to think about.

The date with Sean. Skylar still wasn't sure she wanted to go. Especially since she spent most of Friday night listening to Sean go on about his achievements and dreams and love for partying. She knew more about him than he did about her and they hadn't even been on a date yet. Could she be with someone so self-centered? He didn't really care much to hear about Skylar. He'd ask her questions but it would all turn around and be about him again.

"You okay?" Justin caught her lost in thought.

She really needed to work on this zoning out thing.

"Yeah. Just... hate the rain, that's all." Skylar managed a smile.

It wasn't really the rain that she disliked. It was the lightning and thunder that came with it that frightened her. And the thunder was pretty loud that day. And she didn't have an umbrella with her. Her poor hair...