Sixty Seven: Fixing what's broken

×× Justin ××

On the roof of his apartment, Justin dribbled his basketball and threw it against the wall where a hoop was.

It had been a long few weeks for him. He'd sent flowers, music, a gigantic bear... none of these things seemed to move Skylar. Instead of a thank you, all Justin got was texts that told him to stop with the gifts and to move on.

Nothing made sense to him about the whole break up. They'd gotten along really well! If running away together counted as a long term plan for their relationship, they had it on lock down. All of a sudden Skylar's a bad influence? If Justin didn't know any better, he'd say all of the things Skylar said sounded completely like something his dad would've said.

His phone rang in the pocket of his black and red shorts for the umpteenth time but he ignored it. If it wasn't Skylar, he wasn't interested.

"One on one?" Alfredo joined Justin on the roof.

Justin wasn't in the mood but, whatever. Better having his friend here than have his upsetting thoughts keeping him company.

He passed the ball to Alfredo and went to have a sip of his bottled water.

"How's it going?" Alfredo asked, dribbling the ball.

"I don't know."

"You've been down for a while now. It's Sky, isn't it? I mean, I know you don't like to talk about your feelings and stuff but... I'm here for you, bro."

Justin wiped the sweat off of his forehead with his t-shirt.

"I'm just... confused and angry." He said.

"What happened?" Alfredo passed the ball back to Justin.

"She broke up with me. For no good reason."

"She didn't tell you why?"

"She did," Justin shot the ball to the hoop but missed by just an inch, letting Alfredo catch it. "It just doesn't make sense to me."

"What do you mean?"

"She lied to me... well, I think she lied."

Alfredo looked at Justin.

"She says she's a bad influence to me and is a distraction." Justin explained. "Sounds like stuff my dad used to say, along with other things..."

"You think your dad got to her?"

"I don't know. I mean, I... I hope not. Sky's not the type to let people's opinions get to her. I--"

His phone rang again.

"You should probably get that." Alfredo said.

Justin sighed and got his phone out.

A call from Jeremy. It couldn't be good.

"Dad." He answered.

"Hi, son. Took you a while to take my call."

"I'm busy."

"With studying, I'm hoping."

"Yeah." He lied.

"How are you doing?"

"What do you care?"

"You're my son."

Justin rolled his eyes, "It just dawned on you that I'm your son and now you care?"

"Come now, Justin."

"Could you cut to the chase, dad? I don't have time for small talk."

"Fine. I wanted to ask you to come over for dinner tonight."