Five: The house party

×× Skylar ××

Skylar rushed home after a full day of work at the mall so she could have enough time getting ready before Romeo came to pick her up later. She hadn't even decided what to wear and she needed to sort her hair out for the party.

Skylar's weekend job was important to her because it helped her make ends meet in ways that her mother couldn't really afford to. At the age of 20, she'd become so independent: she bought her own clothes on most occasions, payed for her own hair and nails to be done... of course, her school material was the most important and that's where Angela helped out. But anything else was Skylar's responsibility and, from being the child of a single mother, she'd learned a lot about spending money wisely.

The first thing she did when she got home was deal with her hair. Skylar planned on having some really defined curls that night so she got to flat twisting it before looking for something to wear. As she raided her closet, she played some music loudly, glad that her mother was at work, and began her long search for the perfect outfit. When she found something she was happy with, she went to make herself something to eat.

Skylar couldn't help but imagine what this party was going to be like. She'd never been to a house party before so she really didn't know what to expect. But if Kid Ink's 'Show Me' music video was something to go by, Skylar anticipated a great night.

She'd always been an obedient child and Angela couldn't imagine her daughter at any party. To Angela, parties meant trouble: kids smoking and drinking and getting up to no good. But Skylar was a smart young girl with a good head on her shoulders and a need to have a bit of fun to forget about her worries.

Skylar took a shower then went to put on her outfit: white shorts, a black tank top and a black blazer with floral prints on it. She found a pair of socks and slipped them on before putting on her white high top Converse sneakers and doing her makeup

Her phone vibrated on her bed and she found that Romeo had sent her a snapchat of herself pouting with her eyes closed and the caption, 'kissy kissy Justin'. Skylar rolled her eyes and sighed, not knowing what it would take to get Romeo off her back about Justin.

Skylar untwisted her hair and went through it with her fingers then she found a small black purse of hers to fill with items she'd need.

Romeo finally arrived and the two drove for almost an hour to a mansion full of youngsters getting hype to loud music that could be heard from about a block away. Cars lined up the street and filled the house's driveway and Romeo found it hard to find a parking spot. She had to park a couple of houses down and she and Skylar walked up to the house.

It was so crazy, some kids were up on the roof throwing rolls of toilet paper down while others were outside smoking and drinking from plastic cups.

"Let's go find something to drink then we can party." Romeo smiled at Skylar and took her hand, leading the way into the crowded house.

They found that a mini bar had been set up in the large kitchen and that's where most kids had decided to hang out. Romeo got them each a cup of punch then they stood in the living room area to observe.

There was a DJ, fully equipped with his turn tables and a microphone, a little dance floor where not that many people were dancing. Some kids were just chilling on the couches, probably too cool to dance, and others were just socialising and doing what people did at parties.

"I wanna dance." Skylar turned to Romeo.

"Me too but this DJ is too chilled for my liking." She shook her head.

Skylar looked around and wondered if that DJ took any requests but it didn't seem like it.

"I'll be right back." Romeo handed Skylar her drink then walked off into the crowd.