Forty Two: "Don't overthink it"

×× Skylar ××

Romeo was in a really good mood as the girls walked through the mall. She'd been all smiles all day and, if Skylar wasn't nervous about this upcoming event she was invited to, she would've tortured the truth out of her best friend.

"Sky, the mall is not where you shop for vintage dresses. Let's go to this boutique down town." Romeo spun Skylar around and it was easy to do since their arms were linked.

Skylar turned them around again and continued walking in the direction they'd initially been walking.

"We can at least find shoes here." She said.

"Fine. But we could get shoes at the vintage store too."

"I am not going to show up in old looking shoes, Romeo. I still want to look good and kinda modern."

"Fine. Let's get you some heels."

They walked into a shoe store and went to have a look at the heels.

"What's got you smiling like this?" Skylar decided to ask.

"I don't wanna take the excitement out of your day. I'll tell you tomorrow."

"You don't wanna..." Skylar sighed. "Romeo, you're my best friend. Your happiness is mine. C'mon."

"Try this." Romeo ignored Skylar and handed her a nude heel to try on.

"Not my skin shade." Skylar pointed out. "Now tell me what got you smiling like this."

"You want to try a black one?"

"Romeo!"

"Fine!" Romeo threw her hands up and took a deep breath. "Za asked me out on a date."

Skylar started smiling then she squealed and Romeo joined her.

They got looks from some other shoppers but that didn't bother them.

Skylar wrapped her arms around Romeo to hug her and they jumped up and down in excitement for a good few seconds before pulling away and clearing their throats and acting gangster like they hadn't just shared a moment.

"Congratulations." Skylar giggled.

"Thank you." Romeo blushed. "And don't tell Za I'm this excited about the date. When he asked me out, I just said, 'mkay', flipped my hair and swayed my hips as I walked off."

"He knows you're lowkey excited."

"Well, I know he's highkey excited. I saw him fist pump when I got into my car."

The girls laughed.

"Where's he taking you?" Skylar asked. She went back to looking for a pair of shoes to buy.

"He won't say. He thinks he's slick but he doesn't know I'm slicker. I have pepper spray." Romeo pouted her lips and hit the nae nae.

Skylar giggled.

"He should ask Justin all about this pepper-spray-for-dates thing." She said.

"Yeah. But I could probably take Za with my bare hands anyway." Romeo said.

"Don't be mean."

Romeo shrugged. She then picked up a pair of simple black heels that had a single thin strap to wrap around one's ankles and a single thin one that went near one's toes and on that strap was a line of white diamonds.

"These look cute." She held them up for Skylar to see.

"The heel's too thin." Skylar pouted.

"You're so damn picky." Romeo groaned.