Twenty Three: The (overprotective, inquisitive) "cool" mom

×× Skylar ××

She was quite nervous as she stood in front of her full length mirror in nothing but her underwear. Skylar didn't know what to wear anymore and she didn't know what to do with her hair which was wilder than it had been the day before.

In her hand was a peach shirt that she didn't know what to wear with. Since when did she have trouble deciding what to wear? She had it all figured out from the day Justin asked her out but suddenly her choices didn't seem good enough and she had this fear that she'd either look boring or over dress and be uncomfortable all day.

Romeo's necklace was the cause of all this frustration, Skylar thought. It was a beautiful necklace, no doubt, but Skylar had never planned an outfit based on a piece of jewellery.

Okay, dresses and skirts were out the way, Skylar decided. Obviously the last thing she wanted to do was flash everyone at the amusement park-- that also ruled out blouses and loose fitting tops.

Angela knocked lightly on Skylar's bedroom door, hoping to be of help somehow. She was a bit excited to be able to witness her daughter prep for what she thought was her first date. Very clearly, Angela could remember her first date so she had an idea of what Skylar might have been going through.

"Come in." Skylar said.

Angela walked into the room and smiled at her embarrassed daughter.

"Are you doing alright in here?" She asked Skylar.

Skylar shrugged and put the peach shirt down. She picked up a grey t-shirt which had a picture of Andy Warhol printed on it in black. That would look nice with chunky bracelets, she thought, but she wasn't going to a rock concert so her idea of wearing that t-shirt with plain black jeans and sneakers was out.

"Can I help?" Angela offered.

"You weren't so excited about me going on this date. You don't have to help." Skylar said.

She put down the t-shirt and picked up a pair of high waist jeans.

"That would look nice with a tank top and a shirt over it." Angela offered her advice anyway.

All she really wanted was to ensure that her daughter wouldn't leave the house half naked for that date with the mysterious boy who drove that matte black BMW with tinted windows.

Skylar didn't say anything but she'd pretty much thought of wearing something that laid back anyway. But she was a stubborn child when she wanted to be, especially when she was mad at her mother. She put the jeans on and, instead of going for a tank top, she went for a cropped maroon top that was made of lace.

Angela nodded her head slowly and sat on Skylar's bed. She knew this mood that her daughter was in and she knew how to fix it.

"You can wear your hair out like that. I think it's beautiful that way." Angela said.

Skylar tried on Romeo's necklace and she shook her head. She'd stick with the bullet pendant one, just to be safe.

"Aren't you gonna get cold later?" Angela asked.

"I'll pick out a blazer or a cardigan."

"I have a nice maroon cardigan in my room. It would look nice on you. And it's long."

"I don't wanna be all... matchy, momma."

Angela raised her hands and smiled.

"Can I help style your hair? I haven't done it in a while. Kinda miss it."

Skylar was ready to say no but she cut her mother some slack and nodded. She hated when her mom did her hair when she was little but in the end she always looked pretty so she trusted Angela's hands and skills.