Thirty: The broken bad boy

×× Skylar ××

Skylar sat at her desk quite worried about Justin. He hadn't gotten back to her texts and she'd left two voice messages because she was wondering if he was okay. Clearly he wasn't. He would've texted back if he was.

It was late at night and she was up trying to get some work done. She'd hoped that by now Justin would've said something but he hadn't and her mind was no longer set on typing up her research.

Skylar yawned and closed her laptop. She took off her glasses and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face. She was glad her mother was asleep. Angela had taken to bed early because she had an early shift the next day.

When Skylar was done, she went back to her room, quickly changed into her pyjamas and switched off her bedroom lights.

A knock on her window made her quickly turn those lights back on. She grabbed a pair of scissors off her desk and slowly walked towards her window when she heard the knock again.

It wasn't really like she'd be able to use those scissors if it were a burglar or something, Skylar thought. She could hardly pop a straw into one of those packaged juices. What was she gonna do to this person with scissors? Scratch him?

She drew back one curtain and squinted at the darkness, trying to see who'd be crazy enough to come knocking on her window at that hour of the night.

She saw Justin's face for a moment and she thought she was losing it. Why would Justin be at her house so late? She was right. He wasn't okay. And he seemed to be bleeding. Oh lord, he'd been robbed, Skylar panicked.

She opened the window quickly and quietly and put her scissors in the back pocket of her pyjama shorts.

"Oh my goodness, Justin. What happened to you?" Skylar whispered.

"I got beat up." He tried to smile about his stupidity.

Skylar frowned and helped him climb through her window. She closed it then closed her curtains and she put her scissors on her desk.

She didn't know what to say when she looked at Justin. She studied his face for a moment and felt scared for him.

"Uhm... have a seat. I'm gonna go get some frozen peas and stuff for you. You hungry? We got some food left over from dinner. I could get you some water o-or juice?" She said.

"Left overs and water sound nice." Justin said.

Skylar nodded and hesitated to leave the room. She stood at her door and took one look at Justin and frowned some more before leaving for the kitchen.

On a tray, she put a plate of mac n cheese, cutlery and a glass of water. She got a packet of peas out the freezer and put them on the tray too then went to the bathroom with a small bowl to pour warm water into and to get the first aid kit that her mom kept in the cupboard beneath the basin. She carried everything to her bedroom, placed them on her night stand then locked her door.

Justin was seated on the bed, absent-mindedly fiddling with his watch. He looked terrible, Skylar noticed. He was sad and beat up. He even smelled of weed.

"I was worried about you, Justin." Skylar spoke softly so her mother wouldn't wake. "I left messages on your phone..."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you." He said, too ashamed to look Skylar in the eyes.

"Tell me what happened."

Justin hesitated to explain but he was at Skylar's house late at night, beat up, and he'd worried her. He owed her an explanation.