Eighteen: The art gallery

×× Skylar ××

The evening of the art exhibition came and, standing next to Romeo who was in loose black high waist pants, a faux leather bustier, stunning neon pink stilettos and a black blazer, Skylar felt under-dressed. All she had on was a short pastel blue dress shirt and her white high top Converse sneakers with wooden bracelets and Romeo's bullet necklace. Most of the people in the room were properly dressed. They obviously took art seriously, and that didn't make Skylar feel any better.

Romeo squealed when she saw all the art works on the wall and how busy the event was. Skylar figured she was excited to mingle with people and find her 'future husband'.

The girls got some drinks and appetisers and walked around to look at what was on the walls.

Skylar saw some interesting art works but most of them didn't make sense. Someone had painted a canvas red and named it 'Madonna'. How that title came about? Skylar didn't know. But she wasn't going to ask Romeo because then they'd be there all night.

"I wish someone would paint me." Romeo muttered as they looked at a portrait of a half naked girl covered with roses.

"You're the subject of two peoples' photography portfolios. Be happy." Skylar nudged her.

Romeo pouted.

"But a portrait, Sky. You connect with the artist; pose for a while, while he captures your beauty with his paint and paintbrush. It's so... argh!"

Skylar chuckled.

"You're... odd." She said.

"Your face is odd." Romeo teased and nudged Skylar back. "I want more of these triangle thingies. Want one?"

"No thanks. I'll be right here." Skylar smiled.

Romeo made her way over to the snack table and Skylar went to stand in front of the next painting, one of a black girl with hair so big, it basically took over most of the canvas, and on her head was a crown which was a golden serpant with red eyes. The girl in the painting was Nubian, Skylar noticed.

"I like this one." A guy next to Skylar smiled.

He was clearly mixed, his hair was in an afro puff but one that was silky with beautiful curls. He wore a pair of dark jeans, a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a pair of black sneakers.

"Me too." Skylar said.

"You should get a serpant crown too." The guy joked when he noticed Skylar's afro.

She chuckled.

"Yeah... I don't think I'd look that fierce with a serpant crown on my head. This girl in the painting is working it."

The guy smiled.

"I think you'd work it better."

"If I was a Nubian princess, maybe." Skylar smiled.

"Babe. There you are." A tall light skinned girl in really high heels and a tight dress made her way over to the guy next to Skylar and protectively wrapped her arms around his torso.

Skylar rolled her eyes and shook her head slightly at the girl's unnecessary act of claiming her boyfriend like that. It wasn't like Skylar was flirting with the (rather good looking) guy, she thought. She was just discussing big hair, serpant crowns and Nubians with him.

She smiled politely at the guy and turned on her heels to walk off in search of Romeo.

Romeo was having a conversation with some tatted guy near the snack table and she seemed really drawn to what he was saying.