Twenty: Trying to be good enough

×× Justin ××

As he stared at his phone after a call from Mia, Jeremy's assistant, Justin knew he was in trouble. He hadn't done really well with his business studies assignment and the news had reached his dad. He didn't want to have to see the man that day, not on any day. He just wanted to be his own person and do what his heart was telling him to do.

Justin got dressed after taking a shower. He slipped on a navy blue and white striped t-shirt, dark jeans and sneakers and went to sort his hair out.

He didn't even feel like going to school so he decided not to. Instead, Justin planned on visiting his mother's and siblings' graves later in the day. He wasn't good at expressing his feelings but he felt it was easy to talk to his mother whether or not she was alive. He remembered fondly that she had a good ear and a good heart and that he'd still be happy if she were alive. She always knew how to cheer him up when he was down. She'd give him some advice then stroke his hair until he calmed down or fell asleep.

Justin got his phone and keys off his dresser and left his room. On his way to Jeremy's office, he stopped at Starbucks for a quick breakfast. He'd need the energy, he thought.

Jeremy ran a successful investments company that he expected Justin to take over after getting his degree. Of course, Justin never had a heart for business but since his grandfather had handed down the company to Jeremy, there was probably no way out of the family business. Justin did his best at school though. He had some fair grades that Jeremy was never happy about but he passed each semester, even if it was by luck.

Justin made it to the company building and greeted the red haired receptionist before making his way to the elevator to head up to his dad's office. He knew that Jeremy would have lots of questions to ask but Justin already had all the answers, as usual.

He knocked on the thick wooden doors of Jeremy's office and walked in after Jeremy invited him in.

"You're here early." Jeremy looked up at his son from his computer.

"You're never satisfied." Justin closed the door behind him. "I'm either too late or too early."

Jeremy was always ready for Justin's smart comebacks. Always. But he never knew what new things his son would say to him so he always felt the need to prepare himself whenever he needed to see Justin.

Justin pulled out a chair and sat at his dad's desk, facing him. He knitted his fingers together on his lap and slouched in his seat deliberately, knowing how much it annoyed Jeremy.

"We're here to discuss my business studies results from my assignment, huh?" Justin began.

"So you do know that you did badly." Jeremy focused his attention on Justin.

"I'm not stupid. I can always sense when I did badly at something. I've told you countless times that I hate the subject, dad."

"I know that but what was your grandfather's wishes before he passed away?" Jeremy grinned coldly.

"Technically, his will said that I could get my inheritance after getting my degree. Nowhere did that will say I had to have a degree in business or that I had to work here afterwards. "

"But this was his company, son. Someone needs to carry it on after I step down."

"Then sell it to someone who cares."

Jeremy chuckled and ran his hand over his face.

"Justin, this is a family company. No one else can have it."

"Cool. Then I'm sure you're looking forward to living a long life because I'm not doing anything business-y. I'd rather not even attempt to take control of the company. Grandpa would roll in his grave if I messed things up."