Fifteen: Cupid's mess

×× Justin ××

Once Justin finished dropping Skylar off at her house, he made his way to a Chinese restaurant for some take outs for dinner. Alfredo was done working with Britney and he was glad.

She really was creepy, Justin thought. He wouldn't really consider asking her out but the look on Skylar's face when he said he would...

Justin couldn't quite understand what was going on between him and Skylar. It seemed there was a bit of chemistry between them but he didn't know what it was that was holding him and Skylar from actually dating.

He got to his apartment and found Alfredo working on his laptop, as usual.

"I got take outs." Justin announced as he walked through the door.

Alfredo smiled apologetically.

"I just had Skylar's stir fry, man. Thanks though." He said.

"More Chinese for me then." Justin smiled.

"She's really good at cooking. You should invite her over often so she can cook for us." Alfredo joked with a smile.

Justin shook his head and went to place his food on the kitchen counter before getting a fork for himself.

"Britney's got a thing for you. She asked to come work on our project here again." Alfredo grinned.

"Well then, I guess I need to make plans for tomorrow afternoon." Justin said.

"She's not that bad, bro."

"She's creepy, dude. Did you see her watch me? She looked at me like I'm meat."

Alfredo laughed.

"It's called love at first sight."

"Well, Cupid did a crap job at aiming that arrow." Justin joined Alfredo on the couch.

"Who would you rather go for? Skylar? You've known her for some weeks now and you still haven't made your move."

"So?"

"So? Britney is basically throwing herself at you."

"No, she was staring. And Weren't you telling me about courtship not so long ago?"

"I did speak about courtship. Not... what you're doing."

"And what am I doing?" Justin challenged.

"You're wasting time. Before you know it, another Sean will walk into her life."

"I doubt that'll happen. He stood her up, remember?" Justin had some of his food.

"You're missing the point." Alfredo rolled his eyes.

"No, Alfredo. I think I'm fine with where Skylar and I are. There's no rush. We're becoming good friends and learning about each other. She's cool."

"Okay." Alfredo put his hands up in defeat.

"And I just got out of a relationship."

"Six months ago." He pointed out.

"The single life isn't bad at all." Justin smiled.

"Okay. But if you change your mind, I have Britney's number."

"Why are you playing match maker? You're single too."

"And I'm happy being single. I also don't have girls worshiping the ground I walk on."

"Maybe that's the thing, Fredo. I don't want them to worship anything I do."

Justin had just realised that Skylar really wasn't like the girls he was used to. She didn't make a fuss about who his dad was or what he did, she didn't care about his car or about anything materialistic that had to do with him. And above all, she was the only girl who'd ever really cared to ask him about his life-- not his family's-- and how he felt.

"Okay, maybe I'm just scared." Justin confessed.

"Of what?" Alfredo didn't look away from his laptop as he worked.

In Alfredo's opinion, Justin was a pretty lucky guy who could be happy if he let things happen. His last girlfriend was a bombshell, Simone. She had legs that went on for days and the type of hair that would sell shampoos off the shelves in seconds if it featured in a commercial. But, as usual, Justin let go of her just like he let go of all the gorgeous girls that came his way.

Truly speaking, Skylar was the first girl Alfredo had seen Justin take his time with. If he didn't know better, he'd say Justin was nervous about the whole colour thing and that was why he wasn't asking her out even though it was clear as daylight that he was into her.

"I don't wanna mess up." Justin said. "Sky's a really nice girl. I'd hate to hurt her."

"Uhm... you basically dated about five girls last year. Now you're worried about heartbreaks?" Alfredo furrowed his eyebrows.

"No..." Justin exhaled in frustration.

No one understood. No one saw things the way he did.

"She genuinely cares." He explained to Alfredo. "Today, she took me to this park and had me doing stuff that I wouldn't normally do."

"Like?"

"Open up."

"You opened up to Skylar?" Alfredo couldn't believe it. "You've known her for five minutes!"

"Whatever man. I think your session with Britney stripped away your wisdom." Justin got up.

"I'm just trying to make sense of all of this, bro. You find it hard to open up to me. I usually have to guess what the issue is but you can just do it for Skylar?" Alfredo shut his laptop and smiled at his friend who was clearly loving this girl.

"Told you she's different." Justin muttered.

"Wow."

Justin sighed, "Look, I'm going to bed. I'll see you tomorrow... at night... after Britney's left." He took his food with him to his room and sat on his bed to finish his meal.

He didn't know what he was going to do after classes tomorrow but he wasn't coming back to the apartment. No way.