Thirteen: Damaged hearts and childish therapy

×× Skylar ××

She sat alone in the library, as far away from eveyone else as she could. She had her earphones in too and tried to get her mind in the right frame as she listened to some Jay-Z. Skylar wasn't in the mood for slow songs about love or whatever. She would rather listen to someone go on about money, even though she didn't have much of it herself.

Being alone in the library was exactly what she needed. She needed to focus on the assignment she'd been given that day; she needed to focus entirely on her studies.

But what was wrong with her? She was clearly the problem if not once in her life she'd come across a decent guy. They all had issues: there was Joshua from kindergarten who just loved snacking on glue, Christopher in middle school who was obsessed with black girls' butts, Noah in high school who was only physically attracted to Skylar and now there was Sean the liar and date-fearer and Justin the closed book. Something had to be wrong with her if these were the types of guys she attracted. Or was it a curse? Her mother wasn't lucky with love either but Skylar had hoped she wouldn't end up like her mother: grown and lonely with a kid to show as a result of some of the mistakes she made in her life.

He was 'busy', Sean had said. That was probably why Skylar was pissed off about the whole situation. Family business? Really? She wasn't stupid. He was probably with another girl. Skylar saw him being rather too nice to some other girls at Justin's party but then she just thought that Sean was the social type.

She put her pen down and took her glasses off, too frustrated to function.

Then the moment got worse. When Skylar lifted her head, she found Justin was in the library talking to the librarian about a book in his hand.

She rolled her eyes and cleared her table. Maybe she'd get some rest at home in her room if she was lucky and her mother was at work.

She put her phone in her pocket and neatly tucked her earphones in the side pocket of her backpack then she tried to leave the library unnoticed.

"Sky."

Epic fail.

She stopped in her tracks but didn't look behind her.

She'd just made it out of the library.

"Hey." Justin said.

"Hey." She said back and slowly turned around.

"You okay?"

'Do I look okay?' She wanted to ask, but she nodded her head instead.

"I'm sorry about Saturday." He said.

"It's fine." Skylar dismissed and re-adjusted her backpack on her shoulder.

"It's not. I upset you and ruined your evening again."

"Really, Justin..." she didn't want to talk or think about any of that. She just wanted to get home and take a shower to relax.

"Would you like to grab some cookies and coffee at the coffee shop?" Justin sounded hopeful, a small smile on his face.

Skylar wanted to say no so badly but the coffee shop cookies...

She checked her watch to act like she had to reconsider something important.

"I can spare five minutes." She said.

Justin smiled, clearly relieved, and he walked to the coffee shop with Skylar by his side.

They didn't talk. Justin didn't want to say anything dumb and Skylar... well, she didn't want to ask any questions because she didn't want Justin brushing her off again.