Forty Nine: Out of work

×× Skylar ××

She paced back and forth angrily in Justin's living room while he was busy in his room.

Alfredo could sense that things were going to get ugly so he kept himself at a safe distance from Skylar. He was in the kitchen making himself some food.

"You sure you don't want anything to drink? Water? Coffee?" He offered for the third time since Skylar arrived.

"I'm fine, Alfredo." She said calmly.

"Okay. Can you at least sit down then? You're making me nervous."

Skylar looked at him then took a deep breath. She sat on the couch and waited for Justin.

"Hey, baby girl." Justin walked into the room with a smile on his face.

Skylar didn't even try to smile. She was just too upset about what had happened since Simone had visited the boutique some days ago.

"My cue to leave." Alfredo picked up his plate of food. "Good luck, bro." He said to Justin on his way to his room.

Justin was confused. He sat down next to Skylar and looked at her.

"Is everything okay?" He asked.

"No." Skylar said.

"What happened?"

"Your ex came to my workplace to threaten me earlier this week and I got fired from work today."

"Wait. Simone? She went to see you?"

"You have more than one psycho ex?"

"Well... no. I don't know." Justin furrowed his eyebrows. "What did she say?"

"She got me fired!"

"What?"

"I'm unemployed!"

"How...? Skylar..."

"She obviously fed my boss lies about me. She told me herself that she'd get me fired and she did."

Justin closed his eyes momentarily.

"I'm sorry, baby girl." He said.

"Next time I see her..." Skylar frowned.

Justin said nothing.

"What am I going to tell my mom? How the hell am I going to afford stuff I want? There is no way in hell my mom will pay for some of the things I want."

"I could talk to Simone about what she did." Justin offered.

Skylar didn't like the idea very much.

"That's probably what she wants. It doesn't matter." She said. "What's done is done. I should've just taken Romeo's advice and slapped Simone a couple of times."

"That wouldn't have solved anything."

"It would've shown her not to mess with me." Skylar crossed her arms. "Did I mention that she said she'd tell your dad that I was a shop assistant?"

"Well... you're not a shop assistant anymore." Justin tried to make light of the situation.

Skylar looked at him.

"I'm glad you find this amusing, Justin." She frowned. "She's plotting to ruin out relationship."

"No one could ruin our relationship if they tried. Everything will be okay."

Skylar shook her head.

"I thought coming here to talk to you about this would make me feel better." She got up from her seat. "Clearly this isn't serious to you."