"You know how much we love 'N Sync."

March 19, 1999

Last night, Stacy called. She said that James and Jacob had just called her and asked her out for James, but she thought they were joking. Like an hour later, the phone rang and it was James and Jacob, using 3-way to connect me.

I asked James about asking out Stacy, and they both started laughing. James explained, "Jacob and I were playing Gladiators on his monkey bars..." "Wait," I interrupted. "How do you play Gladiators?" Jacob said, "You hang from the monkey bars and try to kick the other person off. I whipped James's ass like, five times!"

James continued, "Well, anyway, before we started, we said that if I lost I had to ask out Stacy, and if Jacob lost, he had to ask out Gina." "And he lost!" Jacob said. "Yeah, so I had to ask out Stacy," James said. "I don't really like her."

I brought up 'N Sync and Jacob said, "Oh yeah, Emily, you know how much we love 'N Sync." He was being sarcastic, of course. [Not of course. But my pledge of allegiance to the Backstreet Boys expressly forbid showing any interest in 'N Sync. It was out of my hands.]

Then James goes, "Jacob, remember when we were playing Gladiators -" I cut him off, "What's Gladiators?" I just wanted to make them explain it again because it sounds like such a stupid game. James said, "It's when you swing from the monkey bars and try to kick each other off." I asked, "Who has monkey bars?" Jacob said, obviously embarrassed, "I do." Hahaha! He has monkey bars. What a QT.

Then James was like, "Remember when you were singing that song during Gladiators? Only instead of saying, 'God must have spent a little more time on YOU,' you said, 'God must have spent a little more time on...'" He stopped, waiting for Jacob. But Jacob said, "I don't know what you're talking about, man." "Yes, you do!" James said, "Remember?! You said, 'God must have spent a little more time on -'" "Okay, James, enough." Jacob cut him off.

Maybe I am being conceited, but I think he must have said, "on Emily." I hope so! God is so good to me. [Meh... not sure that song is meant to be heard with religious undertones.]