What goes around comes around, doesn't it?

April 3, 1998

Today there was a dance, but I wasn’t allowed to go. I was relieved, in a way, because if I did go, Steph would have beaten me up. Maggie called and said she couldn’t go, either.

I guess Lisa, Emma, Hannah, Catherine, Hailey, and Kaylee all went over Steph’s house before the dance to get ready. I was sitting in the kitchen when the doorbell rang, and my dad answered it.

I recognized Catherine’s voice. She said perkily, “Is Emily home?” My dad said, “She is, but she can’t come to the door.” He said that because I had been crying, and my eyes were all red and puffy.

Catherine said, “Oh. Well, do you know if she is coming to the dance tonight?” My dad said, “Well, we’re trying to decide that. We probably won’t allow her to go, though.” She said, “Okay, bye!”

I went upstairs and looked out my bedroom window. They were all skipping down the street and laughing merrily. [I doubt they were actually skipping, though. That just seems maniacal.] They were probably disappointed, though, because now they couldn’t beat me up.

I had some bonding time with Tyler in Science class. He’s really funny and pretty cool. In Math class, Stacy and I were talking, and she said, “You should go out with Tyler.” I screwed up my face.

She said, “He likes you.” I screwed it up even more. [Keep talking, Stacy. See what happens to my face.]

Kaylee, always one to make people feel good about themselves, said, “No, he doesn’t like you.” I said, “Well, it doesn’t matter, because I like Nathan.” Kaylee said, “Nathan likes me.”

Matt is going out with Steph. It makes me sick. Zach likes her, too. That makes me nauseous. But, okay. I admit I am very jealous of her. But she’ll get hers eventually. What goes around comes around, doesn’t it?