We decided to keep it on the down low, go in, use the pay phone, and leave.

March 3, 1999

Today at recess, Shauna slapped Stacy. Everyone was really into it, especially the boys. After school, they were supposed to have a real fight at the sandwich place, but Shauna couldn't go. I decided to go with Stacy and Gina anyway.

When we got there, James, Jacob, Scott, Mark, and Louis were there, too. They all hate Gina, so when they saw us, they went across the street to the playground. Then another group of girls, including Michelle, arrived and we weren't sitting with them because they are immature and annoying. [Quite unlike me and my friends.]

Those girls got it into their stupid heads to follow the boys to the playground and spy on them. Stacy, Gina and I were too cool for that, so we stayed and ate our French fries while Michelle's group ran across the street to no doubt make fools of themselves.

When we were done eating we decided to walk to my house because it is closest, and Stacy had to call her mom and tell her. The closest pay phone was in the library lobby and the library is right next to the playground. We decided to keep it on the down low, go in, use the pay phone, and leave. If they boys thought we were there to find them, we could just explain that we were there to use the pay phone. [Now there's an excuse you don't hear much anymore.]

As soon as we got to the library's front steps, Michelle ran up to us and giddily said, "The boys are playing football! Come watch!" I was really getting annoyed with her, but followed her to the side of the building where we could see the boys. But it wasn't like they didn't know we were there - Michelle's group would let out obnoxious, high-pitched screams whenever one of the boys did anything.

I was embarrassed to be with them and I wanted to go home. But I stayed because all of a sudden, Jacob ran out from behind the bleachers IN HIS BOXERS!!! He was still wearing his baggy, black T-shirt and backward baseball cap, and they kept playing football as if there was nothing weird.

Then Stacy realized she still hadn't called her mom, so she, Gina, and I went back into the lobby. She was talking to her mother when all of a sudden, Louis slammed himself into the glass door of the library, holding it shut. Michelle was yelling behind him, "They're taking your backpacks!" Louis moved so we could get out, but by that time, Mark, James, and Scott were already back at the field holding my, Gina, and Stacy's backpacks. Of course, we ran to catch up to them and reclaimed our backpacks.

I was like, "Screw this," and walked back across the parking lot, figuring Gina and Stacy would catch up. They did, and Stacy said, "They boys told us to stop following them and leave them alone!" I didn't know whom in particular she was referring to when she said, "The boys," but I hoped it wasn't Jacob.

[I have no explanation for Jacob's no-pants demonstration.]