Chapter 77

Harry's POV

"What do you think is going on up there?" Jen asked me and my mum, as we anxiously waited for Angus and Gemma to come down.

"Honestly I have no idea, she didn't say much on the flight over when I asked her what she was going to do, so this could really go either way," mum answered her.

None of us knew where their future lied, or how either of them even felt about one another anymore. I had no idea on Gemma's feelings, and as for Angus, he seemed to be happy now, I didn't know if he was willing to backtrack and take her back after all this time.

"What do you think mum? She's never taken a boyfriend back before, she's stubborn like that. Do you think she would be any different with it being her husband?"

"I honestly don't know darling, you know first hand how stubborn she is. She told me repeatedly that she was doing this for him, and her not being able to give him children would end up tearing them apart in the long run. She thinks it's easier to leave him now, rather than years down the track.

Personally I think she's just running away from something she wasn't prepared for. You know your sister was never one for marriage, she swore of it and said it was a load of bollocks," she started to tear up, dabbing the corners of her eyes.

"Mum why are you crying? This isn't your problem, it's her own," I wrapped an arm around my emotional mum, while Jen reached for the tissue box.

"It is my issue, this is my fault she feels this way," she buried her head in her hands. I was confused by what she was talking about, how was it her fault in any way?

"Sam and I are going to head upstairs, if you need anything come get me, I just think you and your mum should talk alone," Jen whispered to me.

"You're an incredible mum Anne, never doubt that. You raised two strong, confident, amazing children, you should never blame yourself for their doubts and failures," she hugged my mum.

"I'm so lucky to have you in the family Jen, beautiful girl," she hugged Jen back tightly, letting her go to leave us to talk.

"Never mess up what you have with her Harry I mean it, I don't care how bad things may seem, you will never find anyone more suited," she warned me.

"You don't have to worry about that, I already know that," I agreed with her. I couldn't even imagine not being with Jen, the thought alone made me sick to my stomach. Every day without her was pure torture and misery, I didn't know how my sister and Angus could treat their marriage like it was nothing all these months.

"But why are you blaming yourself for Gemma's marriage falling apart? It's not your fault mum, you didn't encourage her to leave him," I questioned her harsh need to take the blame for this.

Parents were always there to protect their children, and blame themselves to keep the child out of trouble, it's just how it worked. It was easy to blame yourself for your child's mistakes, because to you they are perfect, and you must have done something wrong for them to turn out the way they did.

Gemma and I were raised quite well considering our family dynamic. Mum did everything she could for us, she loved us unconditionally and that's all a child wanted. I hoped I was only half the parent to my child that she was to me.

"Harry, it's my fault you kids view marriage the way you do. She is running scared because she thinks Angus will leave her the way your father left us. My failures influenced her decision to give it up.

She thinks she found an easy way out, because she rushed into this way too quickly, and she's taking it before he finds a way out. He will always have this over her, the fact she can't have children, so he could turn around at any point and walk away.