Chapter 41: Newfound Freedom

The  halls of the castle were empty of anyone who could stop him from roaming them. The entire castle was at last his to explore.  Angel knew that the Vampire Elder Soren was killed and could not help him. The Werewolf Elder Kami had disappeared. Nobody knew where to find the Elder. The castle had to have some clues as to where Kami might be. But this is Werewolf Elder, the last people to know where to find the Elder would be the vampires. No Elder would be dumb enough to reveal themselves to the beings that want them dead the most. So, finding the Elder seems like a lost cause. The Elder's were supposed to be the key to ending the war. However, all things considered. It was time for him to give up on the Elders and find a new path. 

The problem with that is, there wasn't a new path. The library had no answers and the only place left to check for answers was. Lord Alexander's bedroom. But Angel couldn't bring himself to break into the King's bedroom. With the route to a happy ending for him and Raven closing. Angel was starting to wonder if he made the right choice. 

Angel's  heart wanted her, there's no question that she's what he wants. But his friends. They wanted him to be their king. They wanted him to take the throne. To save them from Blaire's accession to the throne. He wasn't sure if he could do it. If he could be selfish enough to abandon his friends for Raven. Sometimes, you have to be willing to make sacrifices for the people who matter most to you. Both sides mattered, he wanted to help his friends but he also wanted to be with Raven. 

Angel couldn't do both, his next move would be making that decision. He wasn't sure what to do next. The entire castle was his to explore but the only place he wanted to be. Is here in his room, his eyes looking up at the ceiling as he laid there in his bed.

"If I choose Raven," He considered. "I run the risk of getting us both killed. With little to no chance of a happy ending. It does seem better to cut my losses and choose the throne. But on the other hand if I choose the throne." He let out a deep sigh. "I'd be forced to play the role of the happy husband and pretend to be something I'm not." His pale hazel eyes lingered on the ceiling of his room. "There's no questioning the fact, I could do a lot of great things as King. I could build a better army. I could give my friends the leader they deserve. I could prevent Lord Alexander's greatest creation from being turned to rubble. It'd be great to do those things but knowing." Angel turned to face the side of his bed. Next to him was where Raven laid. That is before he teleported her back to their secret cave. "Inside, I'd feel incomplete and I'd know that there's no filling that void. I'd be alone even with my friends. I'd still feel alone. Raven is the only person who can fill that void. If I lose her, it's like losing a part of myself. So, the question is." Angel let out a long sigh. "What am I supposed to do?"

"I'm not sure, I do know that I'm not giving up." Angel rose to his feet. "I need to check the Library one last time. If Elders aren't the answer. Then, I need to find something else. I can't keep choosing Raven if I know. There's no happy ending for us. I need something to cling to, a thread of hope. Anything will do at this point." He walked into the Library, making his way through the door to the secret Library for one last look. He checked through the books knowing most of them he had already read. "Come on, something, something, something," His cell phone began to ring and vibrate in his back pocket. The sudden noise caused him to lift his head and hit it against the shelf above him. The impact was great enough to cause a stack of rolled up papers to fall from the very top of the shelf and bury him. "Shit," Angel brushed the papers off him, rubbing the back of his head. His cell phone was still ringing and vibrating in his back pocket. He took out his phone and pressed it to his ear. "Hello?"

"It's Claire, how quickly can you pack your things?"

"Pretty fast, wh-," Angel's eyes lingered on one of the rolled up papers. This one was much longer than the others. It was partially opened. But it was open just enough to capture his full attention. Part of it was torn off and it was that torn piece that caught his eye. "Claire, I'm going to have to call you back."