Chapter 13: Bound (Part 01)

The sun began to rise over the Nightshade Campsite. In the end, Raven decided to trust Jay's advice. Last night when she returned to Lycan's cabin. She agreed to marry him. At first he must have thought it was another one of her schemes to kill him. However, after her last attempt failed. She assured him. This wasn't another one of her schemes. She was merely admitting defeat and accepting his hand in marriage. Soon after, Lycan left to make the arrangements and while he was gone. Raven took out her werewolf handbook and began reading through it.

Curiosity had set in, she wanted to know Jay's reason for advising her to marry Lycan. There had to be more to it. Otherwise, Jay wouldn't have had to tell her while Alejandro wasn't around. He risked getting in trouble to give her this advice. His reason had to lie somewhere in the pages of the Werewolf Handbook. She was sure of it. Raven spent all night reading through the handbook. This time she took in all the information. She got about halfway and it was right then Jay's reason became known to her.

In the werewolf handbook, it states that in the event a werewolf should decide to marry another. The way the higher ranked individual treats his or her spouse serves as a representation of themselves.

Lycan is the Prince of all werewolves. He's their future King. As such, it falls on him to set the example for not one but all Werewolves. This is the role entrusted to him by his father Lord Grimm. As his wife, every act he does whether it be to hurt, harm, or disrespect her. Now falls back on him and tarnishes his role as the noble Prince.

Raven knew Lycan well enough to know. He cares more about his role as Prince than anything. He wants to impress his father. He'd give up anything to make his father proud. He would even go as far as to marry a woman he doesn't even love. It was all for the sake of pleasing his father. That's all this marriage ever was. That's why Raven hated the idea so much. She was just his trophy and by marrying him. She knew that's all she'd ever be.

Even this rule serves as proof. He can't hurt or harm her. Of course not, he wouldn't want any scratches on his trophy. He has to respect her. Of course, she's a prize that he's won. If he doesn't respect it, who will? Still, at least as his trophy she had worth.

Raven could use this position to do good and make changes. She owed Nightshade that. This pack has suffered under Lycan's care but as his wife. She can fix that, she just had to play her cards right. Luckily, she knew just the right cards to play. She could also use this newfound knowledge as an opportunity to turn the tides on Lycan. Now, It's his turn to suffer.

"Jay," Raven grinned, "You really are a genius." She closed the book. The door to the Cabin opened. "Lycan, you're back." She put a bookmark in her new favorite book, the werewolf handbook. The key to Lycan's demise.

"The preparations for our wedding are complete." Lycan let out a loud yawn. "I was up all night preparing them. This time, you better show up." He shut the door behind him and walked over to the bed.

"Oh, trust me, I'll be there," Raven set the book down. His eyes were quick to read the cover. Once he did, she could tell he knew what she was planning. The best part about him knowing is that there was nothing he could do to stop her.

"You read it," Lycan's canine teased his lip. "Keep in mind dearest, we aren't married yet so those rules don't apply." He let out a yawn. "Also keep in mind, those rules work both ways. So, you can't disrespect me either."

"I'm aware but see," Raven's eyes lingered on her engagement ring. Her silver halo of protection. "I don't need to, I just need to make sure that you're kept in check," She grinned. "So dearest, I was thinking, I should move in with you."

"That's to be expected," Lycan rubbed his eyes. "I can't have my wife sleeping in a tent away from me. She's much too good for a tent and it would only reflect poorly on me. We can't have that. We must appear as what humans would like to call "The happy couple." That means the same bed and same dwelling." He sat on the bed. "Now move over, like I said before, I was up all night making preparations. I need to get some sleep."