Chapter 40: Loyalty

Loud explosions echoed throughout the forest. Fate and the others went to provide Selene with back up. Scythe followed further behind. Fate's words weighing heavy on his mind. Try as he might, he could not shake them.

"Lord Alexander doesn't need to control your relationships when he controls you." 

Scythe shut his eyes hoping to erase the thought. However, more of Fate's words kept breaking in. No matter how hard he tried to erase them. The words kept pouring in. Could it be possible that..-

  "You always put him before me, before us, don't you get it? Every time you do it, it hurts me. It hurts us and our relationship. If it wasn't for you putting Lord Alexander first. We would already be married and I wouldn't have needed to date someone else to feel complete."

"Has my loyalty to Lord Alexander gone too far?" Scythe wondered. Even his son was a testament to his loyalty to the king. He sought nothing more than to make Sai just like him. A servant to Lord Alexander's cause. He shook his head to banish the thought. But then...

"My father hasn't done nearly enough." Blaire moved Scythe's sword from her throat. "Call me a child, say whatever you want. It doesn't change anything." She slashed down a tree. "I hate my father and I hate you." She stormed off in anger.

"Even your own daughter has turned against you." Scythe erased the thought. "Even if that's the case. He's still our King and my best friend. I could never turn my back on him." He shut his eyes. He saw the face of the red haired wolf, his red eyes so full of determination. The legendary Alejandro. The werewolf who has killed hundreds of vampires. His son included. "You and I, we're both legends in our own rite. Me for killing your kind, you for killing mine. If I was allowed to ask you one question. If I was ever granted that chance." The image of Alejandro's face remained in his thoughts. The determined look in his eyes, the fearlessness, he's truly a werewolf without parallel.  "That question would be, was there ever a time where you questioned your loyalty to your king? Or do you follow your king as I do mine." Scythe shut his eyes .

Scythe sat there in a chair across from Lord Alexander. They were surrounded by bookshelves. Other vampires were walking by picking out books to read. While others were sitting at a table reading. The silence in the room only added to the tension. Between Scythe and Lord Alexander was a chess board.

The task was simple or so he thought. If Scythe wanted to be in Lord Alexander's army he had to best him in a game of chess. But this was more than an ordinary chess match. This was a battle of wits. Scythe's intellect against his close friend. He not only had to beat him, he had to convince him to let him fight in the war. In this silence was an ongoing argument among friends.

At the moment, Scythe tapped his finger on the table. His black pieces were surrounded by Lord Alexander's pieces. This whole time, the king as expected has played defensive forcing him to move in. Due to his vast amounts of patience, Scythe was indeed...Losing. He couldn't maintain this silence any longer. He had to convince him to lighten up his defense as it were and grant him this victory.

"You should reconsider your stance on letting me join the war." Scythe spoke left with not many options. He took hold of his knight and used it to claim one Lord Alexander's rooks. It left his knight to be taken by Lord Alexander's bishop and if he took that move. What would his next move be? Scythe continued to observe the board.

"Scythe," Lord Alexander placed his fingers on a pawn. Scythe's eyes widened surprised that he didn't take his knight. Though, at this point he shouldn't be. He's more focused on holding up his defense. "You are no chess piece. You are far more valuable than any piece on the board. To put you on the board. Would only put you at risk." He added. "I like risks but your life isn't one I'm willing to gamble. " He moved the pawn forward one space. "You're a tactician far more useful off the board than on it." Scythe bit his lip realizing Lord's Alexander tactic. His knight, it's trapped. He could take his Queen but then be taken by the King. If he tried to retreat, it'd be taken by that pawn. If he didn't move it, it'd be taken by the bishop.